• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need tips for giving meds.

diego_ella

Diego has been prescribed Metronidazole. Although I haven't actually tasted one they smell like they would taste like aspirin :grnyuk:. He's only taking a 1/4 of a tablet which is really small so I'm afraid to put it in his food because I'll never really be able to see if he actually ate it. The first 2 times I was able to put the pill on a tiny piece of a doggie biscuit. Now he immediately tastes the pill and spits it all out. Because of his intestinal problems, I didn't want to mix it with anything that would upset his sensitive tummy :(. I plan to call the vet but wanted to see what has worked for others.

Thanks!

I put the pill in a bit of lowfat cheese (like mozzarella) and press the cheese around the pill. With a puppy, give him/her a plain bit of cheese first, then give him/her the bit with the pill in it.

Another good one is to try popping it in a knob of butter!! Anything you would normally consider "contraband" will do, my lot enjoy a scrummy piece of ham every 3 months, little do they know it has their wormer in it! :lol:

High value easily formed food lovingly wrapped around the pill and I always have a second bite right in front of the "victim's" nose and greed wins out with a swallow of the first to get to the second :)

My favourite, and Izzy was on meds three times a day, is pate. The cheap sort that comes in a plastic sausage works best, as it's smooth, easily rolls into a little ball that just slides down and has a meaty smell to disguise any drug scent. The fact that the rest of the gang fancy a taste, helps, too.

I believe that Aileen had some success with this, after struggling to get Sam to take his meds.

I use a bit of laughing cow cheese for Leo and Lily's meds. All I say is 'Leo, pill!' and he runs to the kitchen. He takes capsules twice daily in a bit of cheese. Peanut butter also works, as do bits of meat. It is easy to push a piece of pill into a little bit of hotdog or sausage too.

Sam is on 3 different tablets a day. The only way he will take them is with a knob of butter i know its not ideal with his bad heart but its the only way he takes them with out knowing i have tried everything else.

I've used a dollup of cottage cheese, cream cheese or pure pumpkin puree. Push the pill into the middle of the dollup and they lick it right up.

My Holly's on regualr medication and has to have 4 tablets every otherday! :-|

She's a genius at spotting them no matter how hard i disguise them, physically putting them to the back of her throat is too stressful for her so my miricle worker is....CHEESE! :winkct: It Doesn't touch the sides!

xx

Green beans work well, too. We slip Abbey's pills in a green bean, throw a few more on top of her food and she's good to go!

It depends on what your dog loves to eat. I wouldn't worry too much about it upsetting the tummy as you would use a very small amount to hide the pill. My dogs have there pill in a small piece of banana or dried apricot. I cut the apricot into 4 and push to pill inside. Something soft and squishy is probably easiest.

Back