• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toilet habits

freesia

Barney has been cocking his leg now for the last couple of weeks and he pongs. His palm tree (hair on the end of his diddle) sorry, has always got wet obviously, so why the smell of wee on him? His hair isn't that long that he is going to catch it as he wees, at least I don't think he is catching it. gave him a bath, smelled nice and clean, went for a walk he did his jobs plus the markings and came back smelling of wee again.

Is this just temporary or is he always going to be a smelly pup.
Just wondering what others do with their dogs.

Barney is 7 months now.

Try adding organic cider vinegar to his water dish, about a teaspoon for a small water dish until he get more used to it. I have one smelly boy and one non smelly boy.

Thank you Arne, so will it get better when he gets older? I used to have a retriever and he had long hair but I cannot remember him smelling.:)

His urine is beginning to smell because he is reaching dog puberty and the testosterone is kicking in. If he is neutered, a lot of that strong smell will go away (in my own case it went pretty much right away with both Leo and Jaspar once they were neutered). Otherwise that is pretty much what he is going to smell like. A lot of male and female cavaliers get urine on their feathering every time they go so this can get pretty smelly too after a few days; but this will be especially so with an intact male. It's another one of the reasons a lot of people neuter.

A lot of people will wash their dog's legs or belly feathering regularly rather than washing the whole dog, which can strip their coat of needed oils and dry their skin.

Thanks Karlin, I was going to show him, in which case you are not allowed to nueter. Although his flash is disappearing, I don't know if it will go alltogether. Just waiting a bit longer to see what happens. My retriever was never nuetered and he never smelled. Differences of dogs I suppose.:)

Hi Freesia

Yes I think it is the boy hormones that make them a bit pongy. Both my Sonny & Beau are intact. Beau at 8 months isn't stinky yet but I suspect he will become so. Sonny who is nearing his 3rd birthday gets a big pongy boy smell about a fortnight after his bath. You can keep it down a bit if you give his undercarriage a wipe down daily with a wet cloth or those disposable baby wipes. I am not sure if they are stinkey because of their long coats or if it is a breed specific thing. I've had a number of different breed dogs (males intact) and the two stinkey ones were a Labradore and of course my lovely little Cavaliers.

I have a neutered male cav, and he smells clean all the time. I bath him every 6-8 weeks, but he could go much longer without a bath and not smell.

Barney has been cocking his leg now for the last couple of weeks and he pongs. His palm tree (hair on the end of his diddle) sorry, has always got wet obviously, so why the smell of wee on him? His hair isn't that long that he is going to catch it as he wees, at least I don't think he is catching it. gave him a bath, smelled nice and clean, went for a walk he did his jobs plus the markings and came back smelling of wee again.

Is this just temporary or is he always going to be a smelly pup.
Just wondering what others do with their dogs.

Barney is 7 months now.

:luv: I love your discription of his problem, gace me a good laugh.

Last edited:
Have to agree, it is the male hormones kicking in, the cider vinegar in the water does do a good job of disguising the smell, another thing I would recommend if you haven't already done it, would be to trim the puppy "tassle" of hair from the end of the pupis, to avoid excessive "dripping" if you see what I mean?? :lol: :rolleyes:

When his hair started growing there it looked like a palm tree because it was splayed out, it's gone straight now.:D:D

Back