• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried about Toby

sallymum

Just had Toby at vets, as for the last couple of days he has not been him self. Cant really pin point what is wrong with him if he was a person i would say he is depressed. He is just not him self ,lying around. What worried me this evening was that he was a sleep in his basket beside me when he woke up crying as if he was in pain. For the next while after this he again just seems down.
Brought him to the vet but while their a rotty that had been hit in the face with a car was rushed in as this is just a small clinic, they send a vet down twice a day for 2 hrs 7 days aweek, the vet and nurse had to put this dog on fluids and rush him to the main vets. This means i have to go back in the morning.
So i am now none the wiser and have a dog here who i dont know what i can do for him.Any suggestions.

So sorry to hear that, especially after all your worries with Sam. I have no other suggestions, if there is not an emergency vet in your area.
I wish you all the best.

I'd definitely have a vet check him out. No ideas, as this would be pretty vague as a set of symptoms -- the vet will want to do an exam. I'd have the vet look for causes of pain, let them know what you are feeding, ask about whether a throid problem could be a cause, and make sure they have the information on syringomyelia at www.smcavalier.com (the documents that can be downloaded and printed out). You just want them to be fully aware of cavalier breed issues as they consider what might be causing him to experience enough pain or discomfort that he'd be under the weather. It could be many, many things. Hopefully he'll quickly be back to himself.

Oh dear! Poor Toby, I would certainly get him back there as soon as possible, as Karlin says a broad range of symptoms that could be just about anything really so the sooner checked out the better.

Sending positive healing thoughts your way, :xfngr: that it isn't anything too serious and that Toby has a speedy recovery! Thinking of you both :hug: :flwr:

Forgot to mention that also toby has got very cranky with the other dogs, even if they just walk near him he growls at them.

When i got up this morning Toby was fine. Rang the vet told what had been wrong they told me to keep an eye on him and if the symtons return to either phone them,they have a vet on 24 hrs or bring him back in morning.

I am sorry to hear that Toby hasn't been himself. I hope whatever it was has passed, but if he continues to be a bit down or grumpy I'd definitely be getting the vet to have another look at him. Unforunately it is very difficult for our dogs to convey to us that they are in pain. Some dogs too are quite stoic and the first you know that something is wrong is that they just seem more quiet than usual, perhaps a little moody, or spending more time than usual in their bed.

I am sorry to hear Toby has been off, but glad to hear he is back to his normal self.
If I was you I would still have a vet give him a thorough examination as all of those symptoms indicate a pain response, I would just want to be safe and making sure there is nothing lurking. Hopefully he just had a sore muscle or something ?

Back