• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Travel sickness :(

kaytee576

Hi, My sisters dog Archie suffers badly from travel sickness :( he gets so nervous even short journeys leave him shaking and drooling :(

I heard you can give dogs rescue remedy but I am not sure how long you must give it for before a journey and how much they should have?

Is it possible to give them raw ginger? any other idea be greatly appreciated xxx

I've heard of going about getting a dog to not be scared of a car ride like you do with nail clipping... start slowly... like you sister just sitting in the car with it off and see if the dog will come over and progress slowly to him sitting there with it off then sitting with the engin running then maybe a trip around the block or something... that my best suggestions.

Yes you can give a dog Rescue Remedy, I give a couple of drops about 20 minutes before the planned journey, another tip is to get an old T-shirt (childs) and pop it over their head with their front legs through the arms, this minimises your cleaning up if there is an accident! I also always have a spare set of bedding, a roll of kitchen paper and some cleaner with a few carrier bags with me, I work on the theory that if I have them I won't need them, wheras when I haven't had them I have needed them!!

You can also "desensitise" (sp?) them by simply popping them in the crate in the back of the car for a few minutes, maybe give a small feed in there, then gradually build it up as suggested by Melissa.

I was just going to post on this topic; curious to see what the replies are. I think Gus suffers from car sickness. He throws up if he's in a crate, so we have him in the LookOut pet seat, but even then he keeps licking his lips. He also takes off running when he sees his Puppia. I think he associates it with going in the car. If he his Puppia and his leash, he doesn't run; probably because he associates it with going for a walk once he sees the leash with it.

Back