• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Staining around eyes

shippers

For a few weeks Sally's eyes have been really wet and I was just wondering if anyone else's Cav's have this problem. I have read about eye problems and am worried Sally could have a problem. I have been cleaning them daily with eye wipes but its difficult to wipe off. It seems quite bad some days and wets all the fur around her eyes. I wil take her to the vet incase she needs any treatment that will prevent further complications. Any advice would be helpful

I heard somewhere that they tear more when they are teething...does anyone know if that's true?

Many tear more when teething, but some due to the large area of eye surface, are prone to wet eyes, though there is no real problem. It's best to have them checked, though, as tears could be due to a blocked duct. to test this the vet will put in some coloured drops, so he can see that the tears drain away correctly.

Izzy was the only one of mine, who was prone to tearing and staining. I tried various commercial clening products with no success, so the best thing was to clean the area, with warm water, and dab it dry, daily. It's best to use kitchen paper, tissue or non-fluffy cotton fabric, as cottonwool can make the problem worse because microfibres get into the eye, causing irritation.

Any yellow or green discharge really is infection and needs urgent attention from the vet.

stinky eyes

My Cav has been tearing alot as well. sometimes it is better and other times it is worse. It also kind of smells a little ... I wipe them everyday. does anyone know what causes it?

I would have the vet take a look to rule out possible problems.

Then follow Barbara's advice for keeping them clean. My cavs need around their eyes and their faces wiped daily with a warm, dampened paper towel, then I blot them dry with a kleenex.

My one girl, India, gets one eye drop per day of Refresh Tears to keep her eyes clean. They are 'buggy' and pick up bits of dust easily.

Mine often tear a lot when the back teeth are coming through, barbara's advice on cleaning is sound advice, one of my girls always had slightly wet/gummy eye's and it turns out she actually has dry eye so get it checked out if you are concerned, better safe than sorry!!

Sally's eyes haven't seemed as watery the last few days. I've just been cleaning with some wipes that are especially for eyes and not scented. I'll monitor them and if they get watery again will take to the vets. Perhaps it was with teething as she has been chewing her toys more with her back teeth. Does this seem likely for an 8 month old? Thanks for the advice

I don't know of the connection between teething and watery eyes, but all three of my girls seem to have eye goop. My husband usually cleans them out at least once a day and complains about the smell.

I've heard that if dogs drink bottled water they won't have icky eyes. We have a whole house water filtration system and my dogs still have problems, so I don't know how true that is.

There was a time that my cavalier was tearing. My vet said that it was a diet problem, and that was it.
After some time with chicken and rice diet (to calm the stomack) tearing stopped.

I think it's genetic, unless there's an infection or blocked tearduct. Izzy teared badly, as did his mum, Monty only tears if it's windy or very cold and the other two don't at all. They have always ben fed the same food as eachother.

Many tear more when teething, but some due to the large area of eye surface, are prone to wet eyes, though there is no real problem. It's best to have them checked, though, as tears could be due to a blocked duct. to test this the vet will put in some coloured drops, so he can see that the tears drain away correctly.
Sasha had to have this done. The vet was looking to see if the color came out of her nose, believe it or not. She said the tear duct drains to the nose (which is why the nose is wet). Anyway, the test came back normal, & the excessive tearing resolved on its own.

I use Diamond Eyes (an anti-stain liquid) on a cotton ball once a day for the fur under her eyes, to prevent staining. If more goop appears that day, I use plain water.

What a timely topic; my new baby has eye staining too. I'm trying to control it by washing his face with warm water on a cloth twice daily.

Are you having success with the Diamond Eyes?

Although Sally's eyes have now stopped being as 'gooy' I might buy some 'diamond eyes' to clean them with once a day instead of the wipes. Where is the best place to buy it from? I love buying her different 'beauty' products she has more than me!!!!:)

Does the Diamond Eyes do anything about the odor? The gunk that is wiped away from their eyes always has a distinctive smell - and it's the same in all three so I assume it's a Cavalier thing (wet dog, etc.) I don't know if I can "retrain" Bubba to use anything besides a kleenex, but it would be worth a try.

Does anyone know if Diamond Eyes cleaning lotion be purchased in Ireland and if so please be so kind and advise where. Thanks a lot to anyone who can help.

I've been having success with the Diamond Eye. I've tried about 4 other stain removers but feel the Diamond Eye works best. It was recommended to me by a friend whose Blenheim had bad staining under the eyes. Sasha doesn't have a problem w/ staining, maybe because I use this once a day.

I find a cotton ball is easier for me to control than a large eye wipe. I definitely don't want any to get in her eyes!

I don't know where you can get it in Ireland, since I live in the U.S. Here's a link so you can see what it looks like.... maybe you can do a search and see what comes up. http://www.healthypets.com/diamondeye.html

Back