• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fluid Tablets.

sallymum

Since Sams meds were upped. The poor lad is just weeing all over the place. I brought him for a check up yesterday eve. The vet said there is really not much improvement his heart his diminising(sp). I dont think they want to change his meds already as i suppose once this happens there a much more they can do.
Also has anyone experienced this with the fluid tablet. I give it to him first thing in the morning, but is there anything else i can do to make his life easier as i can tell that every time Sam is caught short he is not very happy. I am bringing him for lots more toilet breaks but his is weeing up to 25-30 times a day. Floosa each time. Im not giving out about him weeing inside i can deal with that it is for Sam i am concerned about.

The drug will be Frusimide or Frusicare (both the same, just different names).

I found with Izzy, that he needed out right after a meal and we tended to leave the back door open most of the time, so he never did wee indoors.

What dose is Sam on ? Izzy started with half and progresses to two halves , then one and a half and one twice when I temporarily upped the dose if fluid was obvious.

Is he on Vetmedin and Fortekor (Benazecare) ? There is no need to chnge the drugs with these two; they are taken as well. Fortekor slows the heart so reduces stress and the Vetmedin helps the breathing. Half a Fortekor 5 per day , with 2 x Vetmedin 1.25mg , later chnged to 2.5 mg, followed by the Frusicare, as mentioned, kept Izzy going for over two years.

Sam is one 1 fluid tablet a day, 1 Fortekor 5mg and Enalapril Maleate 5 mg. the back door is permantely left open, but he does seem to be caught short and doesnt make it.

I had Leo on frusimide for a while as they use it for syringomyelia as well. Generally most of the extra urine seems to be in the first 90 minutes. Also I found that it took him a couple of weeks to get the hang of it -- he'd have the occasional accident where he'd wet himself after that but not too often It did take him a litle while to realise he had to go more frequently. I'd take him out after 20-30 mins then at an hour and90 mins after the pill, and that should help. If he is going on and off all day long then I'd go back and talk to your vet if this doesn't stop after a couple of days.

It might help to use a belly band if it starts to look like he is going to always be having accidents (or else temporarily while he adjusts, too!), then at least the house will be protected.

Do you give a whole tablet once a day ? My vet told me to split the dose, half-half, whole-half, whole -whole ie with the larger part in a morning and the other at 5-6 pm.

Poor Sam. I could imagine it would really upset him when he has accidents. Fluid tablets, doing what they are meant to do, really hit hard and when you need to go, you need to go... like right now. If possible I'd leave a door open for him. If you haven't already got one, maybe you could even put a doggy door in so that he can come & go as he pleases?

That the thing his poor face everytime he has an accident. The back door is left open all day so they can go in and out as they please. Night times are fine i think the tablet have prob worn of by then.

Agree with Barbara, might be the dose needs to be halved and given twice a day rather than just the once? Poor Sam, hope this eases off for him soon, they do get so embarrassed when they have an accident don't they? :hug:

Guinness on Frusimide

Our 'G' is on Frusimide - supposed to be 1 - 3x a day. Also on Fortekor - just started these and Vetmedin.

He has one amazing bladder. Unless we take him out - he will just do a little pee in the yard.

Then I come home - no peeing inthe house - and he looks like a balloon - no kidding :eek:

And sometimes when I take him out - i see the animals getting into pairs - talk about floods!!!

Apart from that
does everyone get their meds off the internet or from their vet.
We get ours off the internet
Frusimide for 2p a tablet
Vetmedin 33p a tablet
and Fortekor about 78p a tablet

cheers:paw:

Back