Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: broken heart

Post Thanks / Like

I think the highest compliment we can pay a beloved pet we have lost is to invite another pet into our lives. Our love for that first special pet paves the way for the others which follow. If Gumbo and then Abby, both now at the Bridge, had not showed me the joy of being owned by a dog, I would never have opened my home to Hadley and Buddy. Of course, Ms. Abby, I am sure, is smiling down on me as she considers that it took two to take her place! (Claire L, I bet Rudee is thinking the same of Minnie Moo and Cara Mia!)

You will know when the time is right to add another dog to your life, whether it be a Cavalier or another breed or a rescue mix, but I bet it is soon.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, Ms. Abby, I am sure, is smiling down on me as she considers that it took two to take her place! (Claire L, I bet Rudee is thinking the same of Minnie Moo and Cara Mia!)
    What a lovely thought Phyllis - Thankyou
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be hard on yourself. It must have been a very difficult thing to do. Give yourself plenty of time to grieve.
    BK

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry you feel that way, it's a very hard thing to have to deal with. I believe she would understand why you ran out.
    It's absolutely devastating to have to go through something like that. Your pain and actions at the time are a reflection on how much you loved her, and are a completely normal reaction to have at the time and she would have known why you did what you did.

I don't have any kids, my Cavs and cats are my children and I love them every bit as much as most parents love their children, so I can totally empathise with how you feel.

I think too, that Mishka wouldn't want you to feel that you had done anything wrong. One thing I am sure of, Cav's are one of the most forgiving souls I have ever come across, having known some who have come from appalling circumstances, and watching them change from a frightened dog into one who trusts their new owner usually happens in an amazingly short time. So please find it in your heart to forgive yourself when you feel ready to.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I wish I could just give you big hugs of comfort...please don't be hard on yourself. You gave her so many years of a loving home, and that is beautiful how you gave her those last happy months at the end. You have so much love to give and I hope you will get another cavalier. I too have lost pets and grieved greatly but it helps so much to put that energy into loving a new one.
    Owned by Barkley the CKCS , Sweet Pea the ET , and three goofy cats!

Post Thanks / Like

Please don't beat yourself up. We all deal with death in different ways. I'm sure you always put Mishka's needs first and you did the right thing by loving her enough to let her go. It's never easy but I can't imagine not having that truly unconditional love as part of my life. Each dog I've had over the years is different, but just as precious to me.

After my first Cavalier, Beatrice, was killed in an unfortunate accident, I thought I was going to need to be committed somewhere. My heart was broken. Not until I brought another dog into my life did I begin to heal. My grand daughter gave me the best insight, wise at 8 years old. Meghan told me that the first to greet us in heaven will be the animals we have loved and lost. She is sure I have so many Cavaliers now so that I'll have lots of company in heaven. She may be right.

You'll know when the time is right to find another Cavalier. Your heart will let you know.

Hugs from me and my girls to you.

JaneB
    JaneB
    The love you receive from a dog can be surpassed by no other.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry for your pain. Don't feel guilty I'm sure Mishka understood and knew how very much she was loved.

I had to have two dogs put to sleep in the past.One I got someone else to take to the vet and the other I stayed with because I felt guilty. I remember just saying goodbye to the first one and feeling guilty, but the second one I still feel guilty even though I was there. It's such a hard thing to have to do,but it's for the best and I'm sure our babies know that.
    Last edited by pippa; 4th October 2007 at 05:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You did just what I did with my first cavalier Mattie I just could not face seeing my beloved Mattie die so please dont beat your self up we all know how painful it is
    ---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie--Sam)
    Cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky& Sam
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference.Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.