• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Won't sleep in his crate anymore..

doublea1127

Hi!
My name is Allison and I am new to this website. Love it! So of course I have a problem. My 6 month old pup Charlie has been the "perfect" puppy since he came home. Always slept through the night in his crate, never cried when I left for work in the morning or after our afternoon walks, etc.
He got fixed on Monday, and since he came back from the vet (he spent the night), he wont stay in his crate at night. He cries and cries until I let him out and he comes in bed with me. I know, I know, you shouldn't let them out, but after 3 hours of whimpering..I can't take it.:)
I should say that I AM guilty of letting him sleep in bed with me every once and a while, but only once or twice a week and he was always perfectly fine with going back into his crate (which is right next to my bed) the next night.
Any suggestions on how to get him crate trained again? When i leave in the morning for work, he doesnt peep, and is all sleepy when I get home to walk him, so I am assuming he is fine in the crate when I am not at home.
Is he becoming needy? The surgery went fine, he is crazy as ever, no pain, nothing...so I dont think its that.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is Charlie not as "advanced and perfect" as I thought he was??:):)

I'm not really qualified to answer your question(s) since I've only gotten my very first dog about two months ago.

I think sometimes puppies revert a little... especially after a difficult experience (night at the vets). He might settle down in a few days. OR... you might have to start the crate training again.

I can only say good for you for crate training Charlie. I have a crate for my little girl, Pickles, but she really DOES NOT like it. Even if I leave the door open and just have her go in for treats and toys.

Anyhow... not to ramble on and on about me and my dog. (I'll save that for another post).

Charlie sounds like an angel and I'd give him a few days.

Thanks!! I guess I couldn't expect him to be perfect forever! :)
Good luck with Pickles. I love that name, so cute!!!
I read your other post and I think you and I are both getting trained by our dogs rather than the other way around!

Back