• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bella is in heat - question?

BostonGirl

Bella went into heat on Monday and so far so good however I have one concern - her private area is really really big! About twice the size of what it was before she went into heat. It just looks swollen basically - is this normal? Should it have gotten insanely big or could something be wrong? I could post a picture of it if you think it would help with your feedback but I didn't know if that would be crude... :eek:

Yes it is normal. She may have gone into heat earlier though if she is this swollen now? I know swelling is often the first sign however.

Yes, agree totally, very normal, some of mine start swelling a couple of days before hand then I see blood (white tissues test always very handy!) but this is totally normal, terms like "Size of a bucket" and "Black hole of Calcutta" spring to mind here!! icon_blshing

Word of warning, it is when the colour fades to a straw like colour that she will be most fertile/matable, I only mention this as I recently overheard some-one saying how surprised she was that her bitch had gotten pregnant accidently, she had apparantly allowed her back in with the males on the advice of a vet nurse who told her the bitch had finished her season when there was no colour! :sl*p: this is actually the danger period, seasons last a good 3 weeks, I had a bitch who was the result of a 21st day mating :eek:

AND semen can possibly live in the female for a whole week-- so if she is even mated early, she can still conceive. I know of someone whose girl was accidentally bred on day 3- she had 3 pups. I have two in season girls now -- one is fertile now (not to be bred) , one will be bred next week. The boys are on alert__lol

Last edited:
Yep that's what happened to Fiona! Hers was seriously about 5 times as big and was noticably...open, lol. I was so shocked I actually looked up a picture online :shock: It was definitely one of the stranger google searches I've ever done....

Whew! Thanks for all the replies - I can't believe how big "it" gets but glad its normal! Bella is now 8 months old.

Back