• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I think you're all wonderful!

I've been reading all your comments since July when I lost my ruby boy, Oliver- he was just five and a half. I was trying to make sense of his death; searching the internet, reading articles and then I stumbled across you all and what a revelation.

You all care so much. I'd only really ever met people who had showed cavaliers and they seemed so competitive (I know not all people who show are like this!) and preoccupied with things that seemed secondary to me. One lady even came up to me and said my Blenheim was a very poor example because he had freckles!

What a relief to find owners who are seriously concerned with the welfare and health of this very special breed. I have so much respect for you all and for Karlin.

I live in Hampshire and have an eight and a half year old Blenheim called Sam. He is a quiet rather shy type of boy and is very dear to me.
My ruby, Oli had the biggest personality and made us laugh non-stop. He was incredibly affectionate and although I shouldn't have had a favourite, I absolutely adored him. I missed him even if I went away for a couple of days. He was part of me. :(

Five weeks after we had got married, Oli dropped dead when I was walking him and it was the biggest shock of my life. We believe it was his heart to have just made him go like that.

The only thing I saw was his back legs cramping a week before. I went to the Vet and he didn't know what that could be. Ol had a bit of a rounded tum and after he had gone his tummy was warm for hours and hours - maybe water retention?

I never even knew I was capable of such emotions. It was real grief and not everyone could understand that 'a dog' could do that to me!

Anyway, nearly three months on I still miss him. I have read so much about the breed. Finding a new puppy from a litter where they have followed the basic health guidelines has been hard. I've met 4 breeders and seen 4 litters. All 'reputable' breeders - nearly all using sires under 2 years of age. Some breeding very closely mother/brother/sister, plus no heart certificates available. What is going on?????

I have found a litter where the bitch is 3 with a clear heart and the sire 5 with a clear heart. There can be no promises but I hope it all works with my new boy - Billy. I will post a photo once I have collected him next week.
Anyway, so glad to have stumbled across you all! :luv:

Hi

That is very sad about your dog. I do agree they become part of you. I wanted a king charles but my boyfriend never had a dog when he was a child but now he feels the same as me about our Dog.
I bet you can not wait to collect your new puppy they are so tiny when they are a few ekks old and so cute:)

HI!!

Nice to see you posting! :hug:

You have done as much as you possibly can to ensure you found a puppy from the very healthiest stock possible.
As with all things in life there are no guarantee's, no matter how much you do, to avoid potential heartache, breeding dogs is, in a funny way, an art form in itself. There are the "carved in stone" ways of doing things and the "thinking outside of the box" ways, and not forgetting, the "Trying my best to be responsible" ways. But we CANNOT ever make any guarantee's as to how long a dog will live or the kind of life it will live health wise, we can only try to give them the same equally level genetic playing ground so to speak??

I am so very saddened to hear of your Oliver, he sounds an incredibly special dog indeed, every so often there comes along a dog who is extra special to you, I know, I had one and it tore me apart when I had to make "THAT" decision for him. Hopefully Billy will become equally as precious to you, your OH and also to Sam, of course he will never replace Oliver, that is impossible but in time as his own personality develops he will soothe the ache in your heart and give you many more precious memories in the many years yet to come!

Looking forwards to seeing :snap: of Billy and Sam and of hearing of their adventures in the months and years to come!!

Oh my goodness this story really tugged at my heart! I've got tears welling up in my eyes :( and I'm at work!

I'm so sorry to hear about Oliver but I'm glad that coming to this web site can help you. These truly are wonderful people here and since I joined just a few weeks ago, I have become quite attached to the site.

I sure hope Billy can help fill the void that Oliver left behind - you've got puppy love to give and it sounds like Billy is a lucky boy to have been picked by you :)

icon_welcome to the board!

I just wanted to say Hello and Welcome- Im sorry about your boy, and Im looking forward to hearing about the new puppy! :flwr:

Hello and a very warm welcome! I feel just like Kerry, struggling to keep the tears away. I agree with your description of the emotions you get towards your cavalier. Our Molly was not bought for show purposes, just for companionship and joy. To my astonishment I have realised that I miss her, even when I am away for a few hours, looking forward to see her again.
I am looking forward to see your pictures!

Thank you for your kind words about us.:) I got a bit teary eyed reading about your lovely Oliver. icon_welcome to the board. Looking forward to hearing about your new puppy. :flwr:

Thank you for sharing your story. You definitely have come to the right place for compassion and understanding. Many of us have stories that bring tears to our eyes. I am so happy you are getting a new addition. Can't wait to hear all about Billy and see pictures. Your heart always has room for another cavie....Judy and Dixie

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! Of course we care, that is the beauty of Cavalier lovers around the world. I'm so glad you found our wonderful little community.

Welcome to CavTalk! So sorry for your loss of little Oliver. :hug: Each of these cavs are little heartbreakers - they are all so precious! :lotsaluv:

Hi there, just wanted to say that we are so sorry for your loss, and thankyou for sharing your story with us,

Ca't wait to hear all about Billy when you get him home :hug::flwr:

Thank you!

You're all so lovely! Thank you for your kind words.
I will post some photos of Billy once he is home.
Thanks again :razz:

Welcome to the Board!!:dogwlk:

You'll find a lot of great shoulders to lean on, people to laugh with, and freinds to tell stories to!

I cant wait to hear about your new baby :D

Hello BobbyPuppy

I felt so sad reading about the loss of your Oliver. It is a horrible shock when a seemingly healthy dog just goes like that, especially when you never really get to find out what happened.

One lady even came up to me and said my Blenheim was a very poor example because he had freckles!

What a stupid, ignorant & ill mannered woman. I would have been tempted to say something back like "yeah & the gods never intended for humans to be as gross as you are". :p

I never even knew I was capable of such emotions. It was real grief and not everyone could understand that 'a dog' could do that to me!

Non-dog owners just don't understand that losing your dog is losing a member of your family, and one of your nearest & dearest friends. I have grieved keenly for many dogs and even the ones I lost decades ago can still bring me to tears.

Anyway, you've come to the right spot to be surrounded by people who love their dogs like you obviously love yours.

icon_welcome from Australia

Back