Thread: Dyson Animal cannister vacuum

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Dyson Animal cannister vacuum

This was my starting point: I have a multiple dog and cat household. The cats in particular shed a LOT of hair. I have mostly wood floors but some area rugs and a carpetted stairs. I can end up with tumbleweeds of animal hair if I am not conscientious about vacuuming. I was ready for something really effective that I hoped would cut my vacuuming time and take a lot of the elbow grease out of the process.

I spent a fair amount of time researching vacuums and considering whether I really wanted to invest such a significant amount as is called for in buying a Dyson -- you can get a desktop computer for the same price!

I also weighed up numerous reviews and people's personal comments on various discussion boards because I wanted a good sense of how comfortable this was to use, how effective wih animal hair, how portable (as my house is small and storage space is at a premium), and how likely to have problems.

Some initial reports did say that Dysons had a higher propensity to break down, but I understand that was more when the Cyclone technology was first introduced and was more fiddly. (on the flip side, I am tired of the throw-away mentality of dumping things when they break and I know you can definitely get a Dyson fixed, mainly because they are costly!).

I've now had my Dyson for about 8 months and I would give it an A+ rating. My old small and very cheap Siemens vax had very good suction but it was a pain to find bags for it and they filled quickly. That meant the suction quickly declined and it was much harder work to get hair up.

I do need to empty the Dyson after every use, but the suction never varies -- always good and strong. That alone greatly reduces the hard work of getting stuff up out of your rugs and the floor. The HEPA filters also are fantastic -- they really keep dust -- to which I have an allergy -- at a minimum. No more sneezing when vacuuming! I simply do not any longer see little dustmotes everywhere in the air as I hoover.

Given that the unit itself is quit heavy, the vacuum is fairly maneuverable and has a very long cord -- a big plus so you don't have to keep unplugging and moving the vacuum. I like the rotating head that helps loosen and sweep up animal hair in particular -- this is one area where I really do see a difference in how the vacuum functions on rugs and carpets.

I also like how there are no really long pieces to the Dyson -- everything retracts and can be set to a comfortable length depending on your reach, then stores easily and compactly. The head also easily goes under most furniture, and I have found the smaller tools for sofas and curtains and blinds really work nicely.

To me, the Dyson is kind of the Virgin Airlines of vacuuming -- it is stylish and fun and makes a chore a bit more enjoyable. It will take a bite out of your wallet but I have been very happy with the return on my investment.

NB I don't think the cannister model of the Animal is available in the US yet.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you mentioned this Karlin as I go through vacuums like most people go through chewing gum! Biggest problem for me has always been suction and the cloggability (is that a word?? ) of the hoses. I had some of the earlier Dyson's, the DC01, DC03 and even a DeStjil limited edition gifted by my Ma-in-Law, every single one of them lost power and clogged up, plus cost the earth to buy in the first place! Currently I am using a Morphy Richards Pet 2000w and as long as we empty after every use and change the filter, which is washable and re-usable too, they come with a spare so you can have one in the wash and one in use, I have had no complaints with this machine, currently it has lasted 12 months, which is 6 months longer than most before it!

I too have been looking at the Dyson Animal Cylinder, the cost is the big stumbling block for me, but having heard your positive comments I will put it on my "Strong Contendor" list!

Did you know that when your old Dyson does finally go to the Vacuum graveyard, there is a phone number on the back of the machine that you can call and they will come and take it back to the factory to be recycled into brand new dyson's?
    My old Dysons are now probably a part of some-one else's, sort of comforting that they live on in this way eh?
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you like your Dyson, Karlin. I've had great luck with mine, too. I still have carpet in my living and bedroom areas and could get a cannister full of fur every other day if I vaccuumed that often!

The only drawback I've found (and this is true with any vaccuum cleaner, I'm sure) is that I have to hand clean the floor brush as they get tangled with fur. I usually use a kitchen knife to cute lengthwise across the brush to loosen the fur and it's much easier to remove. I haven't found a way around this, but it's a small price to pay for a really great vaccuum cleaner.

I plan to get the Eureka hand vaccuum for my stairs. I've heard great things about it.
    Denise, Wrigley (Golden-5 Yrs.) and
    Mia Bella (Cavalier-2 Yrs.)

Post Thanks / Like

I also love my dyson animal and would highly reccommend it!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep the Animal Dyson is great!

I've had my Animal Dyson for nearly 2 years with no problems.
    It fills up very quickly but is easy to use and it worth the money in the long run!

Post Thanks / Like

We have the lightweight Dyson at the moment which is excellent but is getting quite old now and the wheels are very squeaky. I was wondering whether the Dyson animal is heavy? I'm thinking of when I need to carry it upstairs. I might invest in one now I have read these positive reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Denise G. View Post
    The only drawback I've found (and this is true with any vaccuum cleaner, I'm sure) is that I have to hand clean the floor brush as they get tangled with fur. I usually use a kitchen knife to cute lengthwise across the brush to loosen the fur and it's much easier to remove. I haven't found a way around this, but it's a small price to pay for a really great vaccuum cleaner
    The best thing we've discovered for removing this hair is a pair of long handled, angled toe nail scissors

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Titania-Angl.../dp/B000TBZH5S

You can get these are most pharmacies too - they are excellent for lifting and cutting the hair.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this is an old thread on the Dyson Animal. Do you all still love it? I have been looking at this for awhile. I finally had to duct tape the front of my old vacuum because the rubber is coming loose. It is eventually time to get a new one. The price is hard for me to swallow, but if it lasts than maybe I will not feel too bad.

So, for those of you that still have the Dyson Animal. How is it holding up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gocamping View Post
    How is it holding up?
    I don't own a Dyson, but the Consumer Reports magazine information (based on subscribers' answers to their annual survey) lists Dyson as having the least amount of repairs after Kirby uprights and Rainbow cannisters. If Dyson made a model with disposable bags, I might give it a try. I don't want to inhale all the dust when cleaning out a plastic bin. My dust allergies are horrendous.