• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heartguard vs. genetic

Didn't know they made generic versions!

My own feeling (though we don't give heartworm medication here) is that this is one of the most serious problems that could arise from the environment and I'd want to be very sure the heartworm medication was 100% working. I know the Whole Dog Journal, which is generally very supportive of holistic approaches to vet care, says this is the one treatment they do not ever recommend users try anything but the recognised mainstream products as an infestation is so serious.

I don't know how the generics would compare. If it is absolutely a like for like then perhaps I'd feel OK about it.

Heartguard is guaranteed. Meaning if you buy a 12 month supply from your vet and give it monthly and your dog has a heartworm positive test, they will pay for the treatment. I doubt the generic will offer the same.

Heartguard is guaranteed. Meaning if you buy a 12 month supply from your vet and give it monthly and your dog has a heartworm positive test, they will pay for the treatment. I doubt the generic will offer the same.

I don't give anything year round (one of the very few joys of the "freeze" we get here) so I would never qualify.
I don't know how many clients my vet has-- but so far in 2007 he's had a half dozen heartworm positive results. Some of these are rescue dogs that had been left outside 24/7.

Back