• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kennel Club Puppy Register, a word of warning!!

Cathryn

Hi!

Last week I had a puppy enquiry, the lady was enquiring after a Blenheim or a Tri-Colour bitch puppy, her reason for buying a puppy was extremely unusual/disturbing to say the least!

This poor woman had lost her 22 year old daughter 3 weeks earlier, Francesca, was a Community Nurse who had been called in when another nurse called in sick, not wanting the particular patient on the rota that day to be too emotionally disturbed this ladies daughter went to see to the patients needs. The patient did not want her to leave, he must have known something as on her way home, Francesca was tragically mown down by a car that mounted the pavement at approx 70 m.p.h, she died of her injuries later that day in hospital :(

Francesca, or "Chockie" as she was known to her friends, had been badgering her parents to allow them to let her to buy her own Cavalier at that point, her parents have since come to the decision to buy a Cavalier bitch puppy and name her after their daughter in her memory, make of that what you will, personnally I find it disturbing, but we all grieve in different ways.

Well today the lady rang me again, she told me the most awful tale, she and her husband had approached the Uk Kennel Club for puppies available in the UK, they sent her a list and she approached a breeder on that list, please remember this is the Kennel Club Puppy Register and NOT that of any of the breed clubs.
So she found a breeder close by to her, contacted said breeder who said he had a Tri girl and a Blenhiem girl that he wanted to home together, arrangements were made and this lady and her OH duly adhered to them. When she got there she noted the brand new Range Rover (£50 thousand minimum) and the renovations being made to the house. When she entered the house she tells me it "STANK!". The gentleman (for wont of a better description!) had his suntan, Rolex watch, etc, etc. He also had between 20-30 Cavaliers, ALL caged :swear:

This lady was then shown a 9 week old Tri and a, wait for it, 5, yes that's right, 5 week old Blenheim girl! She was told she could have the 2 together for £600!! She tells me she was very tempted to take them both on the spot to get them out their misery, BUT (full credit to her here) refused them as she realised the dogs were not only financing the expensive car, the house renovations as well, but that if she had taken them, the so called "Caring Breeder" would simply have ploughed the money back into yet another sub standard litter of puppies!

This poor lady was tonight attending her daughters memorial service, she wants nothing more than a well bred puppy to keep in her daughters memory (I find this a bit disturbing, but.........)

I begged her to report this breeder to the appropiate local health office straight away, for the dogs sakes if nothing more!!

I am so mad right now, the air is Blue around me, here I am having every health test going done on my own dogs, and this "person" is the very reason why I am doing this, the Tri puppy BTW has dry eye syndrome, the 5 week old puppy has a massive hernia, this wonderfully strong lady was able to walk away from this, she realised that had she bought those poor, unfortunate puppies, more would have soon replaced them!

I guess my moral here folks is that even if the Kennel Club has them on their Puppy Register, it doesn't mean they have come from the kind of breeder who actually cares a damn about the dogs they are producing, the KC, unfortunatley, is driven by one thing and one thing only these days, MONEY!!

Please check up on breeders the KC pass you onto with the relevant Breed Clubs BEFORE you too have to deal with this, awful and totally unecessary experience!

Bet you can guess who I'm calling :blabla: in the morning?? :bang:

Oh my goodness Cathryn, I hope you mean you will be calling the Kennel Club in the morning. There are some sick people out there. Can you call the RSPCA too? I'll do it if you want to tackle the KC.

I think it is a little strange the parents wanting to buy and name the puppy after their daughter but like you say, people grieve in different ways. It's good of her to call you with this information, maybe you would sell her a puppy?

crikey ....she was brave to walk away from those wee soles ..
I think puppy buyers are getting better at wanting better breeding and so they should

I would not buy a puppy without clear tests and certificates so i wouldn't expect anyone who buys a puppy to expect anything less

I hope she finds her puppy but i too am a little disturbed by this

you get on he phone and give them grief :)

Oh boy! thats awful, and even more awful!

However maybe I am "weird" too, because if I ever get another Cav I want to call it Maud in memory of my deceased Nanny... so I can sort of understand why they want to do that..

Hope you can sort something out and get her to report them to a humane society AND complain to the KC..

/rant :bang:

This is a problem I've noticed more and more with the Kennel Club, they don't seem to care about any standards, just as long as they make lots of money, and they know they get away with it because they are the only official body able to register pure bred dogs.

I wonder what they will do in say, a century from now when they make less money because breeds become more riddled with bad health problems and become extinct...

I mean these are the people who should be showing an interest in the future of all breeds and their health.. yet they appear to do nothing but take our money...

/end rant...

Terrible story. I would do a couple of things though:

Have her call the KC and the RSPCA -- I am sure in most parts of the UK you cannot keep 25-30 dogs in your house. You have stricter laws on kennelling that we have and I couldn't do that here. Then: inform the taxman. Have her tell them that she was offered two dogs for £600 with no mention of VAT or any paperwork. I bet he doesn't pay any taxes of his income from those dogs and that your revenue service would find that quite interesting..

Dreadful distressing story, but good will come of it if the perpetrators of obvious cruelty for their own financial gain are made to pay dearly. If we choose to ignore any form of ill treatment of animals rather than become involved, then I feel that we too play a part in the unfortunate animal's suffering. I am just gobsmacked at the blatantly obvious lack of monitioring or checking of breeders by the KC. How does anyone know who to trust after that? With regards to the poor recently bereaved lady, having dealt with bereaved people in a professional capacity I don't find this disturbing as such. As you so rightly said, people deal with grief in different ways, and her way may have just been that she wanted to carry out her daughters wishes to have a little Cavalier in the house and to love and care for it on her behalf. What a brave stance she took in walking away from those dispicable people. I have a dear friend in the UK who is doing her bit to stamp out this kind of practice by devoting much of her free time to visiting many breeders posing as a prospective buyer and reporting those who are neglecting their animals. She has been responsible for giving so many dogs a better life, as following her reporting the animals are taken away and the breeder totally discredited if not fined. Were we to do likewise here we would certainly be kept busy, and not only with breeders, but with owners who purport to love dogs and then keep them locked up all day or isolated and tied up in cold gardens while they go out to work. It makes me so angry and sad, and yes, I have reported dog neglect on many occasions but sadly it continues.

That is so sad & so disgusting. The juxtaposition between the opulence those people are lavishing upon themselves & the disgraceful conditions they are imposing on innocent & defencelss animals makes me want to.... well I better not say what it makes me want to do. May they one day suffer the same misery. :mad:

:( :(

This is so sad, but I have to say I'm not surprised :(. Cavaliers are such lovely dogs - and so easy to exploit by money-making 'breeder's, who don't care whether they're selling puppies or anything else. The puppies are just 'products' to earn them money.

As for the KC, it doesn't mean anything, does it? :(

Good luck though, I hope you get somewhere.

Kennel Club Puppy Register ,a word of Warning!!

I wonder would this Breeder be on the Kennel Club's Accredited Breeders List ?

Bet

Something should be done,then its at least 1 bad breeder of the street.Horrible!!!

Keep us posted on what happens xxx

I wonder would this Breeder be on the Kennel Club's Accredited Breeders List ?

Bet

What checks do the Kennel Club do on their Accredited Breeders? Or does it just cost more money to be listed as one?

I'm not being a cynic, just would love to know.

Terrible story. I would do a couple of things though:

Have her call the KC and the RSPCA -- I am sure in most parts of the UK you cannot keep 25-30 dogs in your house. You have stricter laws on kennelling that we have and I couldn't do that here. Then: inform the taxman. Have her tell them that she was offered two dogs for £600 with no mention of VAT or any paperwork. I bet he doesn't pay any taxes of his income from those dogs and that your revenue service would find that quite interesting..

I've never heard of a maximum no. of dogs to be kept in a house over here :(. Maybe there is though.

Back