• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog food Role Call, please!

Misha eats commercially prepared raw foods (farmore, bravo, primal, etc.) I like to add in some extra carbs with carby treats and tablescraps include eggs, veggies and fruit. I'm not comfortable home preparing yet, but I hope to be one day!

We started feeding 1/2 by volume of each dinner for Jake home cooked when the recalls hit. The other 1/2 of ea dinner is always kibble. We went from using Karma (by Natura) and California Natural "flavors" (by Natura) to Canidae All Life Stages and then since middle of August to rotating between Orijen Adult and Orijen Six Fish.

I'm still doing a sort of crash course in canine nutrition. Monica Segal's books have been a big help w/ that, along w/ the K9 Kitchen Yahoo Group. I've been a bit concerned about the high protein content of Orijen, so we've added additonal amounts of veggies and oats to the chicken broth base for his home cooked. We make our own chicken broth by simmering the bones for several hours, straining out bones, refrigerating, skimming fat. We also grind up a bit of what is going on our own plates with whatever veggies, etc, are appropriate for a dog. BTW, he loves a bit of baked yam mixed in. I'm not going to post exact recipe because you should do your own studying. Jake gets a variety of dark meat from chicken or turkey, appropriate amount of liver and heart ea week. We make up 2 weeks of servings at a time, freeze in clean yogurt cups from Nancy's Yogurt. Thaw in fridge and heat to room temp in microwave before adding the kibble.

We also put Salmon Oil w/ E over his food just before serving. That seems to do the trick when he wants to pull "picky eater routine" on us. BTW, be sure whatever fish oil you might choose is not citrus flavored. At least in Jake's case, that didn't go over at all.

Back