• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crate

vivitig

Hi eneryone!!

I'm thinking of starting crate trainning. Altough crates are not so popular here in Greece, its my last hope with housebraking. I must have done something terribly wrong: Fivos pees everywere in the house. I keep regular times to take him out, i've never punished him, i give him treats when he goes outside still when i'm gone he pees enerywere!

I'm thinking about a create small 24"Lx19"Wx21"H is that ok For a Cavalier??

Ps: I'm asking for your understanding in my English, as it is not my mother-tonghue:eek:

Has he been seen by a vet? If they have a urinary tract infection, they will go frequently and canot stop themselves.

I'd recommend buying

Shirlee Kalstone: How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Housebr...3444649?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191837167&sr=1-9

This explains how to crate train and also how to housetrain and gives lots of guideleines and schedules. You need a crate that is large enough for your dog to comfortably stand up, turn around, and lie down.

In general, if he is able to pee five times in a house in a day, then he isn't yet started on housetraining (if it isn;t a medical problem). You need to keep him at arm's length all the time, under constant watch, when he isn't sleeping. If he is doing this when you are out you are probably giving him too much freedom. You can confine him to one small room as an alternative. I never allow my dogs the free run of my house -- they all go in one room when I go out. You need to housetrain room by room though -- if he is housetrained in the kitchen he won't be housetrained in the bedroom until yu train him for that room, too. It takes a good while -- but don't worry, you wil get there!

How old is your cavalier now? The peeing may be marking, not really peeing, and would start as he gets mature. Neutering will help that problem or else focused training the same as with housetraining.

It is very important to follow directions on cratetraining as you need to get a dog used to a crate slowly. Also I dont like crating a dog more than 3 hours myself and feel it is very hard on the dog for crating to be an all-day-at-work solution.

Thanks Karlin!!!

I have a spare room, so i'll train him to stay there while i'm at work.

the thing is that he only pees inside, only when i'm at work, or i'm sleeping (too early in the morning) so i can't train him. how can you tell the defferance between peeing because he cant hold it and peeing bacause he marks?

He is now 11 months old. I can't see any other benefits from neutering him, so i'll try to teach him.

If i cant keep him in the crate while i'm at work, it wont help me. I'll try with the room.

Hi,
In my opinion crates are great for teaching pups to go do their business outside the house.
If they get use to the crate, they will never pee in it, since this will be its 'private space'.

I found a nice website that as a little video on how to train the pup to go to the crate and not to be afraid of it.

Here is the link:

http://goodpuppy.blogspot.com/

It has some other basic training tips.

I hope this helps you a little! :)

Back