• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cav licking Akita's teeth???

adam53

We recently got an American Akita puppy (Loki) and he gets on brilliantly with our 20 month male cav (Eddie) and our 16 month female (Lola)! They're best friends and he's really protective of the two cavs.... Ever since we got him though, the Eddie just keeps trying to lick Loki's teeth. I mean, he stands up on his back legs and basically puts is head into Loki's mouth and starts licking his teeth??? It's not causing any problems or anything but I was just wondering is this common? I know licking another dogs face etc is a sign of submission but this just looks like Eddie is cleaning his teeth?! Lola doesnt bother at all, its just Eddie! I thought it was very strange but maybe I'm wrong and this is quite common? Anyone else have similar goings on with their dogs? Im just worried that some day the Loki might get sick of him doing it and decide to close his jaws while Eddie has his head in his mouth lol

Clancy does this to Maggie. Is Loki teething by any chance? I wonder if there's a chance there's a smell associated with teething.. like a blood smell? I'm going to have the vet check Maggie's teeth next time we're there. I don't see anything wrong, but I do wonder if there is some smell or something going on that should be checked out, since Maggie is the only one of my dogs that Clancy licks in this way.

I'll be watching to see if anyone else has comments about this licking!

I think this is a kind of submissive behaviour, his way of saying I know you're the pack leader!!
My parents trio in particular exhibit this behaviour too, now if we could convince them to use a toothbrush instead of their tongue's...........:lol:

Yes I've seen this behaviour before, but don't think it has any particular significance, both great that they can interact in such a way without any resistance!

Beau does this to our Sam (the Boxer) as well. I noticed there was a real increase in this behaviour just before we realised that poor Sam had an abcess on one of his teeth. So in his case I think the increased interest was due to odour. Could be a combo of submissive behaviour and maybe a bit of odour if the Akita is teething?

Our two do that with Missy the Saint Bernard. Missy the slobbering Saint... it's just gross. :eek:

Thanks a million everyone for responding so quickly! I reckon you could be right about the teething thing. A few times I've noticed a tiny bit of blood at Loki's back teeth (they are ENORMOUS...I've never seen teeth so big!!!) so maybe this is what Eddie is after! We were very cagey about getting the Akita first of all because some places said they dont respond well to small dogs so I was worried Loki would just snap! But I have to admit, he is an absolutely brilliant dog! He's so loving to us and the cavs and would do anything for us. He's also a brilliant guard dog and with perseverance he's very easy to train cos he's so intelligent! We're already considering getting another one to comploete the collection lol it's going to be full house.... 4 dogs and a turtle!

Back