• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Horrible experience - Poor Hermie

Eeva

Last night we went out with the dogs, it was about 7 pm so quite dark already. We stopped to talk to some neighbours and the dogs were sniffing at something on the pavement. Soon both dogs were gagging and choking. My husband managed to pull something out of Maija's throat but we couldn't reach into Hermie's. She was just standing there, staring at us and trying to bring it up. We ran to the car and rushed her to the night vet's. All the time she just sat there, not moving, not making a noise, just gagging every now and then and shaking and staring at us with those pleading eyes. When we got to the vet's, he pulled out a 5 cm chicken bone from her throat!:shock: He gave her two shots, an antibiotic and a painkiller. Oh boy, were we shaken!:(
Yesterday was the refuse collection day and obviously someone's bin bag had been torn and these bones fallen out. I went to inspect this morning and collected the rest of the bones that I could see. Unfortunately we don't use wheelie bins in this town, that would stop these bag being torn by cats and foxes. This morning I was half hysterical when I took them out and checked everything they approached. OMG.

Holy Cow you are so lucky you had the common sense to rush to the vets. Poor little Hermie. I'm glad he is ok now. Big hugs

OMG what a scare you had! Poor Hermie....so glad all is well though!!!!! So glad you were able to get right to the vet.... wow. Thankfully Hermie is ok!!!!

Good for you for acting so quickly! That must have been such a terrifying experience. Around here there are ALWAYS chicken bones thrown on the street -- some come from bin bags as cats in particular get into them if they smell them when they are left out before the morning collection. thers people drop from fastfood meals and some people throw them out for the pigeons :mad:.

I am always having to watch for them; it drives me crazy.

Thank Goodness they are both OK. I go through the same thing when taking a walk down the street.
Chloe's favorite thing to eat is cigarette butts. She's also found some old ground in bubble gum stuck to the road, you would have never known it was gum until she pulled it up and it was stringing.(great thing to get into fur!)
Chicken bones are very scary. And it seems our dogs will have a taste for many things. I tried to walk down the street carrying a treat, but it didn't deter her for long.
Take care of your babies:)

Wow that is scary - I'm so glad Hermie is OK. I was walking my two on the beach one day and went passed two tourists when I noticed Molly was eating something. The tourists were feeding them chicken wings :eek:. I screamed at them "don't give them any more!". I nearly passed out (and so did the tourist probably after me yelling at him!) but then I apologised and explained they can't have bones. Thankfully Molly was OK but you just never know what the dogs will pick up :-|.

Thank goodness your pups are alright. Thank you for sharing that story. I will definitely be more mindful from now on!

What a terrible thing to happen. Thank god that they are ok. That is one danger i would not of been expecting. Hope u are feeling a little bit better now. What a fright u must of got.:hug:

Phew that sounds nasty...Im glad he's alright! There's nothing worse than a scare like that! Last year Eddie just got neutered and 2 nights later I walked into the kitchen and there was blood all over the floor and it looked like half of his insides (exageration) were hanging out from his nether regions! I paniced picked him up in a towel and flew up to the vets (at 12:30am!) with my mate and by the time we got there everything had popped back in! I felt like such a fool telling the vet about it! Turns out Eddie just got "excited" and too much came out and due to the surgery he was still all swollen so it couldnt go back in! It was terrifying though! Sorry for the graphic description!

Phew that sounds nasty...Im glad he's alright! There's nothing worse than a scare like that! Last year Eddie just got neutered and 2 nights later I walked into the kitchen and there was blood all over the floor and it looked like half of his insides (exageration) were hanging out from his nether regions! I paniced picked him up in a towel and flew up to the vets (at 12:30am!) with my mate and by the time we got there everything had popped back in! I felt like such a fool telling the vet about it! Turns out Eddie just got "excited" and too much came out and due to the surgery he was still all swollen so it couldnt go back in! It was terrifying though! Sorry for the graphic description!

YUCK :eek:

What a horrible and frightening experience for you and the poor little doggies, but due to your quick thinking all is well thank God. Can well understand how nervous it must have made you. I felt slightly nervous just reading it! An excellent reminder to all of us to be ever cautious, even outside our own houses and thank you for taking time to share it with us, having been through such an ordeal.

Wow....and good for you in reacting so quickly!!! That must have been so scary. I'm just so relieved you knew what to do and didn't waste any time. Glad she's okay!

Oh my goodness your story made me so scared! I'm so relieved to hear that they are okay.. but gosh I have to wonder if I would have acted as quickly? Congrats to you for thinking fast on your feet!!

Thank you all for your sympathy and kind words, they mean a lot to me! :p We are OK now, but much more careful on our walks.
You're a wonderful lot!:thnku:

Gosh you must have gotten such a fright. I'm glad that things worked out ok and that Hermie is feeling better now. :hug: :hug: to you all.

Oh what a frightening experience. Cudos to both you and your husband for your cool headed & swift action.

My husband calls Maddy a goat! She wants to sniff and try to eat everything!
baby frogs are one of her favourites. Anything stuck to the road is a treat!
Luckily we have wheelie bins in our neighborhood so bones have not been a problem.
Pam

Back