• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coco being spayed today....

pamela

hi all, Coco is being spayed today and I am beside myself with worry. I dropped her off this morning at 9.30am and was so upset leaving i crashed into the vet's garden wall! I am so worried about her, my friend had a bishon frise who was brought to be spayed but didnt wake up from the anesthetic and I just keep thinking about her. It doesnt help that my mother told me last night i was "being cruel" by not letting her have her own litter, even though i explained the health risks associated with the alternative. I'm in work now (well physically anyway!) and i just cant wait to get the call to say everything is fine and i can go pick her up. I really need your positive thoughts today!!

:flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Here's lots of good thoughts for Coco and for you! You made the right decision and just remind your mum that the risk of serious complications and threat to a female dog just in giving birth is far higher than the very tiny risk of problems during a surgery. (y)

I am sure she will be fine and be sure to let us know the minute you hear! She will be sleepy and ready for lots of loving from you. :) I recommend geting a babygro/onesie and cutting a hole for her tail, rather than using a cone, if the vets try to get her to go home in one of those -- dogs hate them!

So sorry you had an accident in the vet's garden though! :shock: Hope not any damage on either side.

I know it's hard to relax when your little dog is having surgery.It's not cruel to prevent her from having her litter.Basically you made a very valid decision to manage a female dog by having her spayed.It would be far more cruel to have her endure an unplanned pregnancy, perhaps with a larger dog and cause problems with the birth.My vet has seen smaller dogs with broken backs from large dog matings.
Is your mum going to keep and rear the litter if they arrive? I don't think so.There are plenty of dogs in the world and no shortage of cavaliers.There's no risk of extinction for them just yet;)
If your home situation would make it difficult to manage a bitch in season, then the benefits of the surgery far outweigh the risks.
In a week or two you can enjoy the company of a loving pet, free and without the inconvenience of having baying packs of males outside your door.
Sins

I have been through this plenty of times with my own dogs and fosterers and i tell u it doesnt get easier:p. u are doing the best for Coco and it a couple of days she will be back to her self. the hardest part is the waiting. She will be fine. Let us know when she is home. will be thinking of u and coco.:flwr:

that you all for responding. I read tons of threads on this site last week to weigh up the pro's and cons and i know i made the right decision - as long as she's ok today! Karlin I went shopping last night and bought 7 onesies (they only had packs of 7!) but when i got them home they didnt fit, even though i got 12-18 months! Coco is very long :) so before i pick her up i have to exchange them. I thought that was a great tip when i read your old thread last week - the cones look so uncomfortable. oh and i managed to knock half the wall down it was already damaged) and wreck the front of my car but that's the least of my worries today!

thank you for your kind wishes - i'll keep you updated!

Oh no, I am so sorry about that accident. That is extra stress you sure didn;t need.

On the onesies -- also try a thrift shop. I got mine there. They can be tricky to fit -- good idea to measure the length you need but even if it is too big they will work fine. However with seven you'd need to either quickly plan a family or maybe donate them. :lol:

Lots of good luck and positive thoughts coming your way:lotsaluv:.

Do let us know how she is later.

Nick

she's awake!!! i just called the vet at 3pm as instructed and the receptionist said "can you come down at 4.15pm and we can go through everything..." of course i thought the worst and asked "IS SHE AWAKE????!!!!" and she said she was and everything went fine. PHEW!!! i cant wait to see her now and give her all my love... i had given them her favourite pillow and toy so i hope they gave them to her when she woke up - please god she'll be sleepy enough not to be too scared... :(

thank you all for your help!!

:rah::rah:

Cook her a little chicken breast as a treat and bet she'll love that. :)

Hi Pamela, I'm sure Coco will be just fine and ready for lots of lovin' when you get her home this evening. Sending lots of POSITIVE thoughts and :hug:

So sorry to hear of the distress you have been through today and glad your little Coco is over her op. Have been through this myself and can honestly say it is without any doubt the best possible thing you could have done for your doggie. The babygrow is something I too have used and found it to be really useful and not half so distressing or troublesome as a cone. Get well soon Coco.

Back