• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just a few questions.

THFC1882

Sorry if these have been asked before however i cant find any help so far. As i have never had a pet before never mind a dog, don't laugh if these are stupid questions :D

1. When my pup arrives, will it know that the dog across the road is from the same mum (not to sure about the dad) but from a different litter as the dog across the road is over 1 year old??

2. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that i will need to get pet insurance for my pup, if i do, does anyone know any reasonable insurance companies in Northern Ireland (preferably).

If it is ok with admin i will try keeping all my questions in this thread whenever i have any.

Thanks in advance for all those that reply.

Hi dont think urself stupid for asking questions as this is what this board is here for. Were all asking things at one time or another:p
Ur first question ,no it wont know the dog across the street is from the same line. As from what i can gather even if there from the same litter if they dont see each other for awhile they wont know this. Maybe im wrong its just 2 friends of mine got pups from same litter and after awhile when they were reintroduced they didnt seem to know each other.
Yes i would defo get ur dog insured as especially cavs can have alot of probs such as bad hearts amoung other things. My Sam is on meds for this and it costs me a fortune every month at the vets with him. thats not including the costs of the tablets about £70 every month. Though he is worth it.

Thanks for your reply Sallymum, me and my girlfriend discussed the possibility of having to get it insured the other day however just wanted to double check with others for their opinion/advice first.

Would you or anyone else recommend insuring her as soon as we get her or would you maybe advise leaving it for the first year (possibly even longer)

Hi and hope you have great fun and happy days with your little dog. It is my own believe that the best precaution against any eventuality is to be insured from day one. It gives you peace of mind at the very least and means you are always prepared. What breed is your little dog?

Don't wait to insure her! Our pup got a wasp sting a week after we got her and urinary tract infection about a month after we got her--you just can't predict what will happen.

I think that's it sorted then, we will get her insured ASAP after it arrives, it is a cavalier king Charles spaniel celticharmoney.

You are right Matte you can't predict what will happen, a wasp sting is the last thing that i would of imagined happening :|

Don't feel silly about asking questions....that's what is so great about the board! My pups go to visit with my breeder and don't have any kind of attachment to their own mom :-| In fact, Jake's grandpa put him in his place one time when Jake tried to take his bone from him. As far as the insurance, I have both of mine insured and it's really paid off.

Happy days with your little Cavalier and let us know the name you decide on won't you? As far as questions goes, isn't that how we all learned in the first place? I am surprised that the breeder and my Vet didn't change telephone numbers following the purchase of my very first dog!!! Apart from reading every piece of literature on the breed before the sale, I literally inundated the poor things with questions, which I have to say they welcomed and without which I would be less knowledgeable today and am still learning!! If in doubt, keep the questions coming is my motto.

I would definately get her insured.

Most breeders offer 6 weeks free insurance now so you dont have to worry about it straight away. If not, when she has her first set of injections the Vetinary Surgery will probably give you 6 weeks free insurance with Pet Plan, that's what happened with us.

I did look around but we decided to stick with Pet Plan. It's just over £20 per month and after only 5 months of the insurance, we claimed over £1,000 and they paid up without even querying!

Well worth every penny!

Thank you for all your comments and help, i will try keep you all updated on what happens, when my pup arrives.

Sorry for bumping this topic up yet again, probably becoming a nuisance now :)

Just wondering how dangerous can stones be when owning a dog??

My front garden is done in pebbles, like the photo (which isnt a photo of my garden lol).

rocks.pebbles.sand.garden.jpg

Just making sure so i know whether or not i would need to confine her to the back garden when she arrives or not. I'm unsure whether or not, dogs will lift these up or not possibly making it a choking hazard.

Hi!

My near 4 month old pups adore stones!! They are always bombing around with stones in their mouths, it does seem to be a puppy thing as my adults have all also done this, one even came in with half a housebrick once! :eek: I have no idea where she got it from or how she even managed to pick it up but she did!! :lol:

Smaller stones are a choking hazard so just be extra vidulant of your new baby when she's on your front garden and if possible I would say to confine her to the back until she has outgrown the "stone" age!

Lovely pic, I wish my front looked like that :p

Pardon my laughter; I've had a pup home for just over two weeks and gosh does he love to pick things up and walk around with them!!! Rocks, leaves, sticks, whatever. He doesn't chew on them, just walks around with them...he might sit down and fuss with them for a moment, but I don't believe he will swallow them.

That said: although I have a fenced yard, my Barkley is never allowed outdoors unsupervised. That way if he does have a problem, I'm right there to help him.

Back