• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Questions about puppy stuff!

Adaph

We pick up our gorgeous little tri-colour boy in just over three weeks - I am so excited!!! I have started to get things that I need. So far I have:

Plastic Bed
Vet bed
A nice soft bed/cushion (He can choose what he prefers then!)
Crate
Collar
Lead
Selection of toys
Bowls
Old towels for drying after walks etc..

I need to get a brush and some shampoo, any recommendations on what ones to get of these.

In terms of food, I am going to see what the breeder uses so he isn't put onto a different diet straight away, but long term what would be the best to go for?
Treats: What are the best treats/chews etc. for cavs, and at what stage can you start introducing them?

I know I sound like a novice, and in effect I am, I grew up with Golden Retrievers, but was never their prime carer, this is a big responsibility so I want to make sure I do right by our little fella!

One more opinion, he has a name that the breeder gave him, we had originally come up with a different name. He will be about 4 1/2 months when we get him so will be used to what he is being called, do you think we should keep that name, or could we still change it.:confused:

Thanks so much for all your help - I know you are the experts!!! h*lp

Another thing to add to your list is a dog tag. Karlin recommended a good online company once, good quality and super fast delivery. I can't remember what they are called now. Never put the name of the dog on the tag or your address. I have my name, two mobile numbers, "microchipped" and the number to call if they do scan my dog and get the chip number.

Groomers do great shampoos and conditioners. I got this mixed box so you can see what you like best. All smell great and don't need to be diluted. Every time someone touches Dylan, they comment on how soft his coat is.
http://www.groomers-online.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=141_91&products_id=491

Diet, in my opinion and lots on the board agree, best soft food Nature Diet, best dry food James Wellbeloved. You will need to wean a puppy onto different food if you decide to change the diet.

Wouldn't worry about changing the name of puppy but am sure if you tell the breeder the name you will be using, they should use this too from now on. They won't mind.

Treats can be introduced soon as you get your puppy. I only use treats for training. I personally avoid treats with sugar, preservatives and colours.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Good for you for being so prepared. I can tell you will be a fantastic dog mom! One thing I don't see on your list is a harness. Most Cavalier owners recommend harnesses for lead walking because collars put strain on the neck. I personally love the Puppia brand, and you will find that tons of people on this board use those. I buy mine from www.tiabellas.com.

As far as grooming supplies...A lot of people recommend the PetSilk brand of shampoo, but you can easily go to your local grocery store and pick up a bottle of puppy shampoo to start off with. Never use human shampoo on your pup! (Human conditioner is okay).

It's definitely a good idea to keep the puppy on his current food and slowly wean him off. If you change his food, I recommend using a brand that is approved by the Whole Dog Journal (rather than mediocre brands like Eukanuba, Purina, Pedigree, etc.)

Treats....Steer clear of rawhide (dogs often choke on it). The best treats to give, in my opinion, are fruits and veggies. Kingston loves sliced apples! For a store-bought treat, I might give him a Milk Bone every now-and-then. I also really like the Wellness Wellbars, as they are made from all-natural ingredients.

Your shopping list looks good to me! I haven't had a puppy in a long time so I can't answer all your questions but some suggestions are:
Collar/Lead - you might think about getting a harness so he doesn't hurt his little neck when learning to walk on a lead. I keep a collar on mine all the time with an ID tag on it and use the harness and lead only for walking (Puppia or Dear Dog are nice harnesses).

In relation to the name, my 2 new girls came to me as adults last year so already names but I did change them and didn't have any problems. Molly is deaf so it wasn't a problem for her and Bella responded to her name almost immediately. You can start recall training from day one by saying "Bella, come" (or whatever your dogs name is) and if you have a tasty treat in your hand he won't be long in recognising what his name is.

If you do a search on this site about food you will find lots of information. I feed mine Royal Canin Sensible Mini (Bella has a sensitive tummy).
Have a look at the cavalier information library (at the end of the board) as there is tons of good information there.

Good luck with your new puppy and be sure to post plenty of pictures when you get him.

Your shopping list looks good! I definitely have to agree with Pauline regarding the James Wellbeloved and Naturediet. When we first got Sally we had difficulty getting her to eat. We tried Proplan and Eukanuba with no luck and then we were recommended James Wellbeloved and Nature Diet and she loves it! Her coat is in good condition and she's very happy. We bought a harness too so that her little neck didn't get strained :(. We use 'Feelwells' puppy treats which are small and all natural ingredients. Stay away from colours and preservatives because you'll have an easier to train puppy and healthier. I'd be careful giving fruit and introduce it very slowly because I know Sally can't tolerate it and gets diarrhoea. We don't give it at all now. Sometimes we give carrot sticks.

Another thing to add to your list is a dog tag. Karlin recommended a good online company once, good quality and super fast delivery. I can't remember what they are called now. Never put the name of the dog on the tag or your address. I have my name, two mobile numbers, "microchipped" and the number to call if they do scan my dog and get the chip number.
In Ireland by law u have to put ur address, name and number.
Stupid i know

Never put the name of the dog on the tag or your address.

Why not? I am curious about this.

Once when I had just moved to a new condo, my cat got out but my address was on his tag and a neighbor knocked on the door, cat in hand, before I even knew he was missing.

Anyway, just wondering...

Thank you! I knew I could count on you all!

I meant to say about a harness, I had been reading about the puppias. Should I wait till I get him to measure, or would there be a norm for cavalier puppies, I wasn't sure whether to go for small or medium, was leaning towards medium - then the colour - too many choices!!! :lpy:

A tag was another thing I had thought of actually. I'd been reading about the law in Ireland saw that you needed name, address and number! Thats a lot to fit on a tag! I know he is already microchipped.

I will have a chat with the breeder about food, we are going to see him on Saturday - can't wait!!

The name we want to call him is Darcy. My husband thought of it and I really like it.

Is the two foods mentioned - James Wellbeloved and Naturediet - do you know if they are available in Ireland? I will need to check this.

I will definitely post some pictures when we get him!

:thnx:

Go with the Small Puppia. The Medium will be so big that he will wriggle out, defeating the purpose of having it. The small is a teeny bit large on Barkley, but I don't think he could get his head into the extra small.

When your puppy outgrows the Small in a few months, wash it and save it for your next cav pup! ;)

As far as treats go, I usually give bits of kibble (deducted from her daily portion) as training treats. Works great, no extra calories. I also give bits of cucumber.

Did you have poop bags on your list?

Also, a good supply of your favorite facial cleanser, because boy oh boy, are you going to get lots of puppy kisses.:p

Did anyone mention a blunt nose nail clipper? Don't forget a large assortment of chew toys for your fur baby. I just came back from the grocery store my pup tore some bags containing his food and training bits to shreds. I usually use his kibble for training just thought I would add a bag of sea jerkey for him.:sl*p:

Why not? I am curious about this.

Once when I had just moved to a new condo, my cat got out but my address was on his tag and a neighbor knocked on the door, cat in hand, before I even knew he was missing.

Anyway, just wondering...

I was told to put as little info as possible. I assume it gives a thief too much info. They could be robbing your home while you're out looking for your dog! Dogs are regularly check when they go to the vets. Maybe someone who knows your name and address could pass themselves off as you and the vet would know no different. I must admit, I have forgotten all the reasons I was given.

I was told to put as little info as possible. I assume it gives a thief too much info. They could be robbing your home while you're out looking for your dog! Dogs are regularly check when they go to the vets. Maybe someone who knows your name and address could pass themselves off as you and the vet would know no different. I must admit, I have forgotten all the reasons I was given.

I agree with Pauline on this. My family was robbed with the info on the dog tag a long time ago. I am so glad they came out with micro-chip id. :paw:

In these internet days, people know so much about you anyway...and I have a monitored alarm system. I like knowing that someone would bring the dog to my house if found. I don't think I'm understanding how having my address and the dog's name is a bad thing, maybe someone can re-explain?

I didn't put my address on the tag for the same reasons. I have my mobile number and "Spayed and microchipped" on the back. So if someone found them they would know to go to a vet and get the dog scanned and my address would then be found. Also saying they are spayed or neutered means there is less chance of someone wanting to steal them for breeding purposes.

Darcy is a lovely name. I bet your counting the days until you see him :p

In these internet days, people know so much about you anyway...and I have a monitored alarm system. I like knowing that someone would bring the dog to my house if found. I don't think I'm understanding how having my address and the dog's name is a bad thing, maybe someone can re-explain?

If someone stole your dog and it needed to go to the vet, they could take it to a vet (other than your vet) say they are you and give the address on the tag. When the vet scans the dogs chip he won't suspect a thing as all the details the thief gives are correct, because you gave him everything he needed. With your name, address and telephone number, he probably has enough info to change the details on the chip too.

Hi and lovely to hear that the time to collect your little Darcy is not so far away now. What a nice name too. You are certainly well prepared. You could add cotton wool pads to your list for when you clean underneath the eyes and bridge of nose area where Cavaliers tend to discolour. Your vet will advise on which ear drops to use to prevent mites and keep them clean. Also it may not be a bad idea to ask your Vet for some medication to have in case of wasp stings. You will know from Karlin's recent post that had she not had mediation to give straight after the sting, her dog would have suffered until she'd reached a vet. Happy days are ahead for you and Darcy!!

On the other board it was recommended i get how to housebreak your dog in 7 days by shirlee klassen i believe

It really is a great book!

my guy comes home in a few weeks!

congrats!

Back