Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to our breeders on the board -- question!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default to our breeders on the board -- question!

Have a look at this:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?p=229511

Ever seen a blue eyed cavalier before? Have you heard of a gene for blue eyes or would this be a one off? Or run in a particular line?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Not a breeder. Just wanted to say I saw another Cavalier in California that had light blue eyes also.

Post Thanks / Like

Kris said she heard about that a long time ago running in a particular line that shows up once in a great while. Unfortunately, it was quite a while ago and she said she doesn't remember any more than that.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Most blue eyes occur because of a recessive gene associated with white coat colouring. In my pony's case she's a cremello, which is a double dilute genetic make up.

Occasionally Blue eyes occur because of a recessive gene that denotes eye colour only, it's pretty rare but comes from the line the dog was bred from. Which is what we are seeing here.
    This Cav looks absolutely stunning!

There are other blue eye causes, often made up of other genes such as merle, which can cause a marbled effect or one blue one coloured eye, or wall eye and of course white animals with blue eyes often have a higher incidence of deafness. Some diseases can also cause eyes to turn blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Personnally have never experienced this, however on a board I used to belong to a few years back there was a thread about "Chocolate" Cavaliers, basically they had a liver chestnut coat and looked like lighter Tri-colours, these dogs had blue eye's too if memory serves correct!
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that picture earlier too and was surprised. How beautiful!
    Last edited by Ginger's Mom; 19th October 2007 at 10:59 PM.
    VERONICA
    Mom to our precious little girl "Gingerbread" born on 8/13/2006
    If there are no Cavaliers in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a rescue here two or three years ago that had one dark brown eye and one blue eye. The man who I homed her had a son with the very same eye color. He thought it was fate.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the gorgeous photo of the choc'n'orange Cav puppy. He looked like an advert for Terry's! No blue eyes there, though.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Would you be able to show a Cav with blue eyes if everything else was "show quality"??
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Would you be able to show a Cav with blue eyes if everything else was "show quality"??
    Here is the standard:
    Eyes - Large, round, but not prominent and set well apart; color a warm, very dark brown; giving a lustrous, limpid look. Rims dark. There should be cushioning under the eyes which contributes to the soft expression. Faults - small, almond-shaped, prominent, or light eyes; white surrounding ring.

Light brown would be a fault-- blue????