• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

to our breeders on the board -- question!

Kris said she heard about that a long time ago running in a particular line that shows up once in a great while. Unfortunately, it was quite a while ago and she said she doesn't remember any more than that.

Most blue eyes occur because of a recessive gene associated with white coat colouring. In my pony's case she's a cremello, which is a double dilute genetic make up.

Picture019.jpg

Occasionally Blue eyes occur because of a recessive gene that denotes eye colour only, it's pretty rare but comes from the line the dog was bred from. Which is what we are seeing here.
This Cav looks absolutely stunning! :)

There are other blue eye causes, often made up of other genes such as merle, which can cause a marbled effect or one blue one coloured eye, or wall eye and of course white animals with blue eyes often have a higher incidence of deafness. Some diseases can also cause eyes to turn blue.

Personnally have never experienced this, however on a board I used to belong to a few years back there was a thread about "Chocolate" Cavaliers, basically they had a liver chestnut coat and looked like lighter Tri-colours, these dogs had blue eye's too if memory serves correct!

I had a rescue here two or three years ago that had one dark brown eye and one blue eye. The man who I homed her had a son with the very same eye color. He thought it was fate.

I remember the gorgeous photo of the choc'n'orange Cav puppy. He looked like an advert for Terry's! No blue eyes there, though.

Would you be able to show a Cav with blue eyes if everything else was "show quality"??

Would you be able to show a Cav with blue eyes if everything else was "show quality"??

Here is the standard:
Eyes - Large, round, but not prominent and set well apart; color a warm, very dark brown; giving a lustrous, limpid look. Rims dark. There should be cushioning under the eyes which contributes to the soft expression. Faults - small, almond-shaped, prominent, or light eyes; white surrounding ring.

Light brown would be a fault-- blue????

Here is the standard:
Eyes - Large, round, but not prominent and set well apart; color a warm, very dark brown; giving a lustrous, limpid look. Rims dark. There should be cushioning under the eyes which contributes to the soft expression. Faults - small, almond-shaped, prominent, or light eyes; white surrounding ring.

Light brown would be a fault-- blue????

The UK standard says

Eyes - Large, dark, round but not prominent, spaced well apart.

FAULTS - Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault be regarded should be in exact proportion to it's degree

I would certainly consider blue eye's a SERIOUS fault on a show dog.

Back