• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

On not being afraid to ask...

Matte

When we were at the vet a few weeks ago, she advised us to clean Asta's ears weekly. We bought the stuff that she advised, tried it, and Asta totally flipped out, was angry and nippy all night, absolutely miserable. The other day my husband noticed brown gook in her ears and we had to deal with it. She's our first dog, and given our first experience with ear drops, we called the local pet store. "Bring her in" they said. This morning I went in, the groomer did one ear, I did the other, and then she said "you don't need to pay me to clip her nails--I'll hold her and you clip and then you'll know how to do it". She also told me that once a week is probably too often to clean a puppy's ears, even a spaniel.

Never hurts to ask for help!

That was a very kind gesture from the groomer. It's good to take care of these things when your pup is still young so she could get used to it. :)

I clip nails and clean ears once a week for my cats and dog. If the ears arn't very dirty then I just take a cotton ball with some cleaning solution on it and give them a quick swip. Maverick has a nasty ear infection right now so I clean his ears and put drops in every night.

Alfs groomer allways does his ears.I was also told to squeeze the bottom glands every 3 months.Although she doesnt do that and nore do i.

I always do my lot's weekly, I have a couple of them that can run to canker very quickly if left more than 2-3 weeks tops, most of the cleaning solutions are pretty mild so once a week shouldn't really be too much.

Top marks for asking though, and for getting the nail trim done for free too, I trim my parents dogs nails and my In-Laws dogs as well maybe I ought to charge, if I charged what my vet does I'd be on a nice little earner I can tell you! :lol:

If the ear cleaner contained alcohol such as epiotic it can have this effect as it can burn or if there is the slightest sore or cut inside the ear it stings. I was warned away from epiotic by my dermatologist for this reason although it is a fantastic ear cleaner and i know a lot of people and vets recommend it it can be too harsh for some little ones and you are best to look for one with no alcohol.

If the ear cleaner contained alcohol such as epiotic it can have this effect as it can burn or if there is the slightest sore or cut inside the ear it stings.

I just looked at the ear cleaner that we bought at the vet, and sure enough it was epiotic! The one that the groomer used smelled minty and she mentioned that it had no alcohol in it.

We really like the groomer--we know that it's good business for her in the long run and for the store (her parents own it) but it really feels like it comes from a genuine love for dogs as much as good business sense. I guess you couldn't be a groomer if you didn't love dogs.

I guess you couldn't be a groomer if you didn't love dogs.
Unfortunately I can't agree with this as there are many nasty people out there in it for the money with some horrid dog handling skills (just speaking from experience).

However on a lighter note I think it is fantastic that you have found a groomer thet you like and are comfortable with. I feel having a good groomer comes a close second to a good vet. :)

Back