• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking to go out!

Cavfan

Our Barney ( aged 4) has a behavioural issue. Since being a pup really he has been obsessed with 'going out'. I dont mean when he needs to I mean once the door is closed to the garden- even if he has just come in from a long walk, or just come in from the garden 1 minute ago. Once the door is closed he goes berserk to go out again.
When he was a puppy he used to go to my Dads everyday whilst we were at work- one of the provisos of getting him was he was looked after each day- however such was this habit that we had to stop taking him as it was getting too much for my Dad! Now he is left alone all day which he adapted to quickly but his behaviour has meant he is missing out!
If he goes somewhere where he cant see the garden- say a flat/apartment- he doesnt have a problem.
We have tried distractions, whistles, claps etc but to no avail. Its getting so we darent let him in the garden late at night in case he disturbs the neighbours. Does anyone have any similar experience and could maybe advise?
Thanks

Hi Cavfan

Though I have not had experience with this kind of problem, if I did, I think I would use the "I am ignoring you" technique. Basically, you completely ignore the dog. Any response, even scolding, is giving the dog attention, and you don't want to do that.

So when the dog is barking you pretend he doesn't exist. You only ever open the door to let him out when he is quiet & not hanging about the door looking to get out.

It may take a while to work, but I'm pretty confident that if you just hang in there with it, you will see some results.

Back