Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rio has a heart murmur

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Rio has a heart murmur

Hi All

Well, Rio was going for his yearly booster as he is now a year old. Its been a heck of a year with constant trips to the vets for viral infections and him getting his paws on a bar of chocolate, long story.....

Anyway his vet Kate, was listening to his heart as usual as she does with every checkup. This time she listened to his heart for a good while and then listened again. The room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. She then told us that in Rio's heart there seemed to be a slight murmur. She then said his weight was a little high he was 11.1kg 2-3 months ago. However he is now 12.3kg, so we will be reducing his food intake, which we do watch, but now that he has been neutered we will be watching it even more.

I was just wondering if anyone else's Cav's on the forum were diagnosed this young as Rio ?

Thanks for listening
    Love Melissa, Rio and Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars big homes or designer clothes. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It would be very unlikely for him to have a murmur at his age. Vets are not usually very good at hearing murmurs, especially mild ones, and some dogs will get what sounds like a murmur just due to the anxiety/excitement of being at the vet.

I would have him checked by a cardiologist and not worry about it til you have a cardio's opinion. Check local club events as you can get a cardiac check for much less than usual at shows.

I know this wll feel very worrying but try not to get overly concerned before you know if you have anything to be concerned about.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's a chart that shows why it is better to see a cardiologist.

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=8737
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Melissa!

I understand how you are feeling right now, first course of action, get him checked by a cardiologist, I have had a general vet (they are the equivalant to a G.P Doctor) give my dogs a grade 2-3 murmur yet when they were taken to my regular cardiologist they have been an intermitant grade 1!!

Next thing, and I know this is hard right now, but TRY NOT to worry too much, this is not as bad as it sounds! I had a Tri girl, ironically called Melissa! When she was 13 months old she too was diagnosed with a Grade 1 murmur by Simon Swift, pioneer of the British Parent Club Heart Program, I was devastated! As the years went by her heart murmur never worsened, it was always there at a grade 1 right up until she passed away aged 12.

Sometimes a mild murmur can onset very early in life and never worsen, other times heart murmurs onset much later in life and seem to "snowball" from there on in.

Don't look on this as a bad thing, also try giving Rio Vitamin E, as high a dose (1000 IU if you can) as possible, this can really make a difference.

Hope this is of help??
    Cathryn
    Cavaliers leave pawprints in your heart and hair on everything else!!
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Us too

I am so sorry Rio! On Saturday we had just the same expereince with our 15 month old, Isabelle. I hope that it is nothing and stays that way for both of our babies. Can someone tell me more about vitamin e?
    Carlie, David, & Isabelle (10 month old blenheim ruler of the house)

Post Thanks / Like

We're on our third Cav now and each one has at some stage been diagnosed with the 'murmour'. Unfortunately our current 4 year old was diagnosed on his first trip to the vet after receiving all his innoculations via the breeder- who at the time assured us of a clean bill of health.
    He is perfectly healthy and his murmour is nothing more that that right now- no coughing as yet. Our last cav- started when he was about 7 or 8 and eventually was on tablets but not until he was about 10. Its not as bad as it sounds!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IzzieBell&MommyBell View Post
    I am so sorry Rio! On Saturday we had just the same expereince with our 15 month old, Isabelle. I hope that it is nothing and stays that way for both of our babies. Can someone tell me more about vitamin e?
    Hi!

Vitamin E is a wonderful vitamin! Have a look here http://www.vitaminuk.com/pages/articles/vitamine.htm

for a better explanation!!

Hope this is of use?
    Cathryn
    RE-LIVE YOUR CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOUR KIDS, THE TOYS ARE SO MUCH BETTER THESE DAYS!!

Post Thanks / Like

THE COUGH!!

Just wanted to say a few words here on this.

"The Cough" is a direct result of the enlargement of the heart due to MVD, initially only the left side of the heart will begin to enlarge due to the inefficiency of the Mitral Valve to pump blood forwards. Over time the right side of the heart will also become affected, this in turn pushes the windpipe up onto the base of the neck vertebrae' causing "The Cough"! You will generally only hear "The Cough" in a dog who is at an advanced stage of MVD, I.E grade 4-5.

Hoping this is of use to any of you out there with dogs diagnosed with MVD??
    Cathryn

Post Thanks / Like

My dear old Cornish Rex cat Margo, rest in peace, had a heart murmur and at about age 7 she developed a "smoker's cough". The vet diagnosed it as asthma but now I am thinking it was from her heart murmur. She got a prednisone shot every three months which seemed to help the cough, and she passed at age 15.
    Owned by Barkley the CKCS , Sweet Pea the ET , and three goofy cats!

Post Thanks / Like

Our very first Cavalier had a bad heart, he had the cough and our then vet, after countless courses of treatment had failed to rid him of the cough, we did not know about MVD at that stage, diagnosed him as being "asthmatic" or being prone to bronchitis, it wasn't until I swapped him to my horse vet that we discovered that he had a very bad heart condition as well as emphasyma (sp?) He did live to be 13 however!! He was even given 48 hours to live at the age of 11, amazing what the introduction of a new puppy can do, his 2 days lasted him 2 years!!
    Cathryn