Thread: Gulping food--special bowl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gulping food--special bowl

Have any of you tried a bowl like this http://www.brake-fast.net/index.htm to help slow down an over-zealous eater?? Abbey is a gulper, and we need to figure something out to slow her down. She literally doesn't even chew, it's awful. Curious as to what others have done for this issue.
    Last edited by Jen; 25th October 2007 at 01:00 AM.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, I'd love one of those bowls; Cara gulps her food too and the only way I can slow her down is to put my hand in her bowl. I tried various other methods but they didn't work.

Looking forward to the response to this thread.
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire L View Post
    Gosh, I'd love one of those bowls; Cara gulps her food too and the only way I can slow her down is to put my hand in her bowl. I tried various other methods but they didn't work.

Looking forward to the response to this thread.
    Claire what other methods have you tried? I'm considering using a tennis ball or large rock before I order the bowl.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

We used a tennis ball for Zoey with success. After a couple weeks she didn't even need it anymore. It may be different with having another dog though. Zoey will still gulp if there are other dogs around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Claire what other methods have you tried? I'm considering using a tennis ball or large rock before I order the bowl.
    I tried using a small tennis ball and a stone and a treat ball and a kong but she got too frustrated.
    I think Elude hit the nail on the head re: having another dog around.
    When Minnie first arrived she would not eat from a bowl at all but I persevered with her using the 15 minute rule and she did eat eventually.
    When Cara arrived, Minnie suddenly decided to eat straight away when I put her bowl down. I think because they are rescues (technically speaking) they just decide (well Cara decides) to wolf down her food in case Minnie takes it.
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....