• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gulping food--special bowl

Jen

Have any of you tried a bowl like this http://www.brake-fast.net/index.htm to help slow down an over-zealous eater?? Abbey is a gulper, and we need to figure something out to slow her down. She literally doesn't even chew, it's awful. Curious as to what others have done for this issue.

Last edited:
Gosh, I'd love one of those bowls; Cara gulps her food too and the only way I can slow her down is to put my hand in her bowl. I tried various other methods but they didn't work.

Looking forward to the response to this thread.

Gosh, I'd love one of those bowls; Cara gulps her food too and the only way I can slow her down is to put my hand in her bowl. I tried various other methods but they didn't work.

Looking forward to the response to this thread.

Claire what other methods have you tried? I'm considering using a tennis ball or large rock before I order the bowl.

We used a tennis ball for Zoey with success. After a couple weeks she didn't even need it anymore. It may be different with having another dog though. Zoey will still gulp if there are other dogs around.

Claire what other methods have you tried? I'm considering using a tennis ball or large rock before I order the bowl.

I tried using a small tennis ball and a stone and a treat ball and a kong but she got too frustrated.
I think Elude hit the nail on the head re: having another dog around.
When Minnie first arrived she would not eat from a bowl at all but I persevered with her using the 15 minute rule and she did eat eventually.
When Cara arrived, Minnie suddenly decided to eat straight away when I put her bowl down. I think because they are rescues (technically speaking) they just decide (well Cara decides) to wolf down her food in case Minnie takes it.

Back