• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Still worried about Sam

sallymum

Sam has been home since Sunday morning but i am still very worried about him. He has got to the stage if i bring out for a little walk he is whizzing the whole way around and is then coughing. also which is more worrying is that poor Sam cant even get a drink of water without going into a coughing fit.
Just wondering from members whoses dogs have suffered from this. Is this another stage of this horrible illness. I am bringing Sam back to the vet this evening but am really worried now.

I rarely took Izzy for walks and not with the others at all. The problem was that taking the others upset him , so as we have a large space out side I didn't walk them either, but played lots of fetch games for exercise.

Cold water would make him cough, so his was always aired and he seemed to benefit from a bowl of tea with milk and a little sugar. OK it's not supposed to be good for dogs, but what does that matter if it gives relief ?

Sam only goes on short walks really to go to the toilet as he will not go out the back, i think this is to do with his former life. Also with the amount that he drinks aday i dont think tea would be the best idea as he is drinking bowl fulls aday.

It might be good if the vet does a blood test for kidney function. If he is drinking that much water he might be getting dehydrated from the fluid pills.

Mary, perhaps if you raise his water dish up off the floor, it might help a little. I just used a block of wood and it seemed to do the trick.
I'm so sorry Sam is having a tough time :( it's so hard to watch them when they are in any discomfort. I hope he gets some relief soon.
Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers :hug::hug:

:xfngr: that things settle down quickly for Sam, as Claire said raising his water bowl might help matters, will watch for updates :hug: :flwr:

Had Sam at vets this morning there is really nothing else they can do. Basically ive to wait and see how his new meds vedimitin(sp) do.

Guess what i came home from the vets with?????

Had Sam at vets this morning there is really nothing else they can do. Basically ive to wait and see how his new meds vedimitin(sp) do.

Guess what i came home from the vets with?????

Sorry you have to wait to see iif the meds help..... :xfngr: for some good news

What did you come home with??? Another foster animal???

Sam had to be PTS last night at 10pm. It just wasnt fair to let him go on. I have really never felt like this before. With Coco all thought it was hard he was only here a few weeks. Sam was a big part of our family who was more like a person than a dog.
Couldnt sleep all night ever time i closed my eyes all i could see was him looking at me just before he went to sleep trusting me.
This morning when i came down went straight into sitting room to let him out as usual, lately Sam had been sleeping there cos it was to much for him to get upstairs, all i seen was the empty sofa and it just struck me im not going to see him again.
I never thought i would feell like this when it happened. I knew it was going to but thought we had months still left. The vet was going to give him something last night so we could of put the decision of for the weekend but i couldnt do it knowing that everytime he looked at me with them big brown eyes that he only had a few hrs left. I had to think of Sam not me. Now though maybe i should of gave him a chance maybe he would have got better at least for enoughter while.

Oh mary i am so sorry about sam, i am crying as i am reading this, he was a lovely fella and after meeting him a few times he made his mark on me. You did the right thing, his suffering has stopped now. I cannot say i know how u feel, but i am hear if you ever need to talk, u know where i am. My thoughs are wit u and ur family :flwr:. I know how make sam meant to you but you did make the right decision.

Again i am so sorry :flwr::flwr:

Oh I'm so very sorry to read this...

Sadly there never seems to be the right day to give them their wings - afterwards we always feel it was too early or too late, but perhaps it is better to be too early rather than feel the guilt that we let them go on too long...

You were right to think of Sam - hard as it is, this is the most loving thing we can do when we know they are not going to get better and their quality of life is not as good as we would like for them.

Thinking of you and sending comforting thoughts - cuddle Sally and Toby close, they will be missing their companion and will comfort you too.

I'm so sorry and know exactly how you feel/felt.

ever time i closed my eyes all i could see was him looking at me just before he went to sleep trusting me.

But it's so lovely to know that he trusted you to do the right thing and you did.

As you know, Izzy went by himself, but for a long time, and sometimes still, I picture his little face looking up, as I sit in a certain chair, and it's the eyes I remember most.

The vet was going to give him something last night so we could of put the decision of for the weekend but i couldnt do it knowing that everytime he looked at me with them big brown eyes that he only had a few hrs left.

I also had this feeling with Izzy. I knew, that Saturday evening, that his time had come and he wouldn't be there for another weekend.

Mary, I am so sorry that Sam is no longer with you. You did the best you could for him and he was grateful to you for all your loving care. Don't second guess your decision. I know how hard it is to make, but as you said you did what you thought was best for Sam. That is all you can do.

I am deeply sorry for your loss Mary. I'm not very good with words, but am very good with tears and I cried buckets as I read this. My heart breaks for you. You did all that you could for precious Sam and you were his angel when he needed you most. Please be very gentle with yourself and know you did all that you could.

I'm so sorry to hear Sam is no longer with you. What a sad day it is. You did so well by him and he knows your love. God bless.

I'm so sorry to hear this news. My thoughts are with you. You did the best thing for Sam to relieve his pain. You gave him a loving home and put him before yourself when making the decision. You couldn't have done things better. Take care and always remember you did the best for Sam :hug:

Back