Thread: Diet for cavalier with MVD

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Diet for cavalier with MVD

Our cav, 10 years old, was diagnosticated with MVD. He is on three med and now he is stabilized. He is feeded with Acana Orijen, but I read, this dogs need more bioavailable source of proteins. Where do I find them? Could you recommend me some suitable diet for him? Is boiled chicken meat with rice and vegetable suitable? What about raw beef? Thank you for your advices, hope my question is understandable, I am still fighting with english

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry I can't help answer your question but I'm sure someone will be able to. Also your english is very understandable.
    Mom to Maverick (3-18-07)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd think supplementing his dry food with a bit of fresh meat, chicken or beef, would be good just in general. I'd just lightly cook it and stir it in. Who suggested the more bioavailable proteins? Most foods would be very balanced and Orijen is a very good quality food. I wouldn't think your cavalier would need extra protein but might rather benefit from some supplements.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help you with the food, but try supplementing with fish oil (I use sardine oil 1tsp/20lbs) and vitamin E (100IU). Also maybe look into Bio Cardio, a supplement for heart health. If you use the Bio Cardio, you won't need to add as much vitamin E. Ask your vet if you are using digoxin about any side effects with the hawthorne in Bio Cardio.

I think as long as your pup is eating high quality protein from animal sources, that should be fine. L-carnitine is good for heart health and found in red meat - though I think it's diminished in cooked meats. Good luck with the diet, I know I have trouble deciding what's the best course for my guy!