• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking to get attention!

shippers

The last few days Sally seems to have found her voice. She has only ever barked whilst playing in the past but recently she's started barking for attention. I was just on the phone to the groomer and she started barking because I wasn't giving her attention and when I sit at the computer if she's not on my knee she barks at the side of the chair. I'd ignore her but we have neighbours so I can't let her make that noise. I want to stop her now before it's a problem.

Try this it worked on Ellie.....Put some stones or marbles into a container with a lid ( I use a plastic beaker).....Dont let Sally see it.
As soon as she barks......shake the beaker and tell her a firm no....
It is better if they dont see you shake it.....
When she goes to bark again, she may think she is going to hear the nasty noise :confused: Persist a few times and hopefully she will stop barking..
I know that it is said to just ignore bad behaviour, but somtimes its not possible.....
I could be totally wrong ....but this tip has worked for me and Ellie....

I've been having the same problem with Charlie. He tends to bark when we're having a meal, or when he's in the car in his crate. When he barks (and I know he has been outside to potty recently) I ignore him. As soon as he's quiet, I reward him with my attention. It's working, and he's much calmer about everything.

Turning your back to them until they are quiet works , it may take 10 minutes but they will eventually go silent ( its very odd to have 4 screaming monsters suddenly go dead quiet )
Once they get the idea they are quicker to be quiet.

I did this when I was minding my sisters dogs before we went for a walk, They screamed for about 20 minutes before they got the idea & I did hear the neighbours muttering about the noise . But once the dogs knew the new rules they where much quieter than usual.

So a few minutes of hell was worth it in the long run.

I shall give the stones and ignoring her a go. It's happening mostly when I'm on the phone and it's very annoying. I was trying to make a dentist appointment the other day and she started. I'm sure the woman thought this was a mad house!:eek:

Back