Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Dane Puppy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Dane Puppy

My 20 yr old son who doesnt live at home, two nights ago came across a man who was dumping his dog. The reason she was growing to big. A Great Dane, what did he expect also at only 16 weeks the size of a small pony she not fully house trainned. Come on she is only a baby. Anyway after he checked the dog was his and also handed over cash, so he wouldnt drown her, my son is the new owner.
    What a lovely puppy she is so quiet so gentle, a bit stupid. I have her today as he is working but as we have never anything to do with this breed, apart from Scooby doo,any suggestions.
    Also very good with the other dogs.
    Last edited by sallymum; 1st November 2007 at 01:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default aw

AWWW Great danes are lovely dogs, that was nice of your son to rescue her would love to see photos
    Owner of Four Cavaliers
    Rosie(Ruby) Emily(Blenhiem) Buddy (Black and tan) and Roxy (tri colour)

Post Thanks / Like

You certainly have raised a wonderful son! I guess he takes after his mum!

You know, I just don't understand people....how anyone could ever just dump or drown an animal is beyond what I will ever be able to understand. Once when I was very little I heard my grandmother say how when she was little her father took a pillow case to the river with kittens in it. That produced more nightmares for me than I care to admit!

Where does this non-compassion come from within a person? I just do not get it.

I can't wait to see photos of the big puppy!
    Lynn
    Momma to Molly (blen) Maxwell (tri) Nora (blen) and 2 kitties

Ohhh yeah...and 2 human (20 & 21 yr old) "children"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh good grief -- how cruel and you are right, why in the world did a man get a Great Dane then express surprise that it was 'big'!

They do have some special needs as they grow -- can't be exercised long distances because of the strain it places on growing joints and need to be fed a balanced adult food; puppy foods are usually not advised for giant breeds.

There's some good basic info on these home pages and links:

http://www.danerescue.org/
    http://www.ginnie.com/gdlinks.htm

He needs to learn about bloat/torsion which is one of the key and most dangerous health issues for a breed like this -- so very important NEVER to overfeed or offer lots of water after a meal, exercise right after a meal, etc.

I'd recommend he read as widely as he can on Danes, as the needs of giant breeds can be quite different from regular or small dogs.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

what Karlin says .

I met a young Great Dane puppy who came into rescue because he was growing too much, and had also been over-exercised.

The result was that he needed an expensive operation on his knees.

The dog sounds lovely tho . They are the soppiest, slobberiest animals around
    Proud member of The Spaniel Trust - putting the trust back into spaniels.
    A Charity registered in Scotland SC038987

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

how sad it does seem a frequent reason for GDs going into rescue though...

I think poss the most important thing they need to teach her is that she has all four paws on the ground when she greets people - have nearly been knocked over on numerous occasions by friends' Great Danes who stood up to say hello - until I perfected the art of catching his collar before he jumped up...
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

There are afew Dane forums, includingthis one http://www.greatdaneowners.co.uk/ on the net.

There used to be on who wnet to Izzy's early obedience class, but Izzy was afraid of him, or, more correctly, his tail. If the tail came near, down went Izzy. We always knew when this dog arrived, by the sound of chairs falling over. He was so keen.

I think you can get special giant breed puppy food.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

How nice of your son to rescue her, the owner sounds a horrible person it's just as well the dog is away from him hope he gets his comeuppance

Post Thanks / Like

We have a lovely Great Dane in my dog training class. She's so big, even if I wanted to(which I don't!), she's too high for me to get onto her back for a ride around the car park!

I'm glad your son thought to check if this dog actually belonged to the man. If the dog is chipped, how do you go about changing and details now, did he keep the guys name and number? Wondering why he would drown such an expensive dog, when he could have tried to sell it in the first place.

If bloat is an issue, raise the food and water bowls. We are told to do this for all dogs in training.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Your son has done a great thing in rescuing the great dane puppy.

The first doggy day care that Pippin & Merry attended was owned by someone who had a great dane named Sally. She was a lovely dog. Very friendly and gentle.

Sally did get into trouble though when left at home, she figured out how to open the refridgerator I thought that was very smart of her. But I was sure glad I had cavaliers and never had to worry about that issue.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)