• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Great Dane Puppy

sallymum

My 20 yr old son who doesnt live at home, two nights ago came across a man who was dumping his dog. The reason she was growing to big. A Great Dane, what did he expect also at only 16 weeks the size of a small pony she not fully house trainned. Come on she is only a baby. Anyway after he checked the dog was his and also handed over cash, so he wouldnt drown her, my son is the new owner.
What a lovely puppy she is so quiet so gentle, a bit stupid. I have her today as he is working but as we have never anything to do with this breed, apart from Scooby doo,any suggestions.
Also very good with the other dogs.

Last edited:
You certainly have raised a wonderful son! I guess he takes after his mum!

You know, I just don't understand people....how anyone could ever just dump or drown an animal is beyond what I will ever be able to understand. Once when I was very little I heard my grandmother say how when she was little her father took a pillow case to the river with kittens in it. That produced more nightmares for me than I care to admit!

Where does this non-compassion come from within a person? I just do not get it.

I can't wait to see photos of the big puppy!

Oh good grief -- how cruel and you are right, why in the world did a man get a Great Dane then express surprise that it was 'big'! :sl*p:

They do have some special needs as they grow -- can't be exercised long distances because of the strain it places on growing joints and need to be fed a balanced adult food; puppy foods are usually not advised for giant breeds.

There's some good basic info on these home pages and links:

http://www.danerescue.org/
http://www.ginnie.com/gdlinks.htm

He needs to learn about bloat/torsion which is one of the key and most dangerous health issues for a breed like this -- so very important NEVER to overfeed or offer lots of water after a meal, exercise right after a meal, etc. (y)

I'd recommend he read as widely as he can on Danes, as the needs of giant breeds can be quite different from regular or small dogs. :)

what Karlin says ;).

I met a young Great Dane puppy who came into rescue because he was growing too much, and had also been over-exercised.

The result was that he needed an expensive operation on his knees.

The dog sounds lovely tho :). They are the soppiest, slobberiest animals around ;)

how sad :( it does seem a frequent reason for GDs going into rescue though...

I think poss the most important thing they need to teach her is that she has all four paws on the ground when she greets people - have nearly been knocked over on numerous occasions by friends' Great Danes who stood up to say hello - until I perfected the art of catching his collar before he jumped up...

There are afew Dane forums, includingthis one http://www.greatdaneowners.co.uk/ on the net.

There used to be on who wnet to Izzy's early obedience class, but Izzy was afraid of him, or, more correctly, his tail. If the tail came near, down went Izzy. We always knew when this dog arrived, by the sound of chairs falling over. He was so keen.

I think you can get special giant breed puppy food.

How nice of your son to rescue her, the owner sounds a horrible person it's just as well the dog is away from him hope he gets his comeuppance

We have a lovely Great Dane in my dog training class. She's so big, even if I wanted to(which I don't!), she's too high for me to get onto her back for a ride around the car park! :rolleyes:

I'm glad your son thought to check if this dog actually belonged to the man. If the dog is chipped, how do you go about changing and details now, did he keep the guys name and number? Wondering why he would drown such an expensive dog, when he could have tried to sell it in the first place.

If bloat is an issue, raise the food and water bowls. We are told to do this for all dogs in training.

Your son has done a great thing in rescuing the great dane puppy.

The first doggy day care that Pippin & Merry attended was owned by someone who had a great dane named Sally. She was a lovely dog. Very friendly and gentle.

Sally did get into trouble though when left at home, she figured out how to open the refridgerator :yikes I thought that was very smart of her. But I was sure glad I had cavaliers and never had to worry about that issue.

Your son is a star for taking on that poor dog, some people should never be allowed to own a dog, what was he thinking? Drowning the poor creature.
Just keep the great dane away from the cavs! One of our neighbours has a great dane and at 10 weeks old managed to toss Daisy into the middle of next week while being playful.:p
Sins

We met a Great Dane ( icon_nwunsurecan't recall his name) at the park a couple of weeks ago and he was so sweet. I was just about to put the girls on leash when I saw hom approach but I needn't have worried........he was so gentle with them. He just bent down to greet them and I just wish I'd had my camera with me to get a photo :luv:

I think Strong training is required as i think as there so big they might become very out of control easy if not trained right,but i sopose its the same as all dogs,The right training with the right owner they would grow into a lovely dog.
Must say you brought your son upto be perfect!
Good look with the pup and keep us posted.

xxx

Yes they do need strong obedience work from the start as it is no joke to manage a dog that often weighs as much as the person walking it! :) Also it is always wise to be very careful in letting large breed puppies (for the first year or so!) play with smaller adults or puppies as a playful large breed can seriously harm a small breed in play -- they don't know their own strength, besically. Overall the Dane owners I know all say Danes are gentle giants like most of the giant breeds and are real sweeties. :)

Congratulations to your son, cl*p(y)...Can we take it the apple hasn't fell far from the tree......where a love of dogs is concerned;)

Grate Danes are wonderful, 1 of my buddies from work up until recently had 2, the eldest had to be PTS about 2 months ago, but the younger of the 2 is still going strong, and he really is a gentle giant.....and I mean giant...he weighs about 14 stone, but he's so good with other dogs and kids,

You'l have some housefull when your doggy sitting at the minute, please pass on our good wishes to your son, and wish the 2 of them many happy years together from us :)

Back