• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Goofy Eye

mrsfarmer

When I was doing all my research on the Cavalier breed, I never came across anything that said to look for "double pigmented eyes" or "walleyed eyes"
Armani has a goofy eye. I never noticed it when we picked him up, but my hubby mentioned it after Armani was home for a few days. Sure enough, then I started noticing it. The white of his left eye is more prominent than his right. Actually it's not even his white, it's the skin around the eye. I asked the breeder if something was wrong, she said no. It's just some dogs have "double pigmented eyes" so then the white isn't there! If you are looking for a show dog, that is one thing to look for.
Maybe if both his eyes were like this it wouldn't be so noticeable. I thought maybe it was because on that side of his face has more white than black so it was more noticeable.
I know he had the "thumbprint" on his cheek and the black tuffs on his legs which I love, but now he has one more unusual thing about him!
But he is so sweet it's hard not to love him with his faults! Hopefully he isn't complaining about my faults to Tracer!

I'm hoping this won't cause any eye problems when he gets older.
armani2.jpg

Don't worry. it's purely cosmetic. Many cavaliers and an even larger portion of other breeds, have both third lids white or pink and my late Izzy had one of each, like your dog, but not with such a contrast. As it's only a matter of pigment, it doesn't affect the dog's sight. My present three all are without double pigment, but only Monty's is really obvious, due to larger lids.

Those white bits are common, so as Barbara says, it's now big deal -- purely cosmetic. Somewhere on the site we were discussing this topic because some breeders feel there's too much focus on the eyes having double pigmentation and therefore the larger eyes typical of the breed are being lost. Obviously it is easier not to have white showing the smaller the eyes are.

Leo has white that shows most of the time on both eyes and also has very large eyes.

Yep, nothing to worry about. Our Sonny is the same. Just as your dog can have a white patch on one leg & a tan patch on the other, so too can the pigment of the nictitating membrane (sometimes referred to as the third eyelid). If they have large eyes or look in a particular direction it can be more noticable than other times.

Back