• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Clown Babies

Oh you lucky thing.

I had a thing about clown fish ever since I was in aquarium shop and went over to look at this bare tank apart from a sea anemone that had plonked it foot right on the front of glass. I bent down to have a look and all of a sudden this clown fish came out and gave me the dirtiest look that a fish could give. I’ve been in love with them ever since. :luv:

Wow, how big is your tank? The anemones are gorgeous as well as the clownfish!

Davy, man can clowns give you looks! I love their movement it's so different then other fish.

Karlin, our tank is a 37gal. We started in a 10gal nano tank with one clown. They are hosting in a mushroom instead of and anemone because anemones scare the stuffing out of us. We had one for about a week and we were so paranoid that it was going to start moving around out tank and eat our fish (they like really good light and ours could be better). One morning my husband found our fire fish stuck in it. It was really pretty but we returned it to the store.

Next stop is to change out 29gal freshwater into a simple saltwater... maybe with a lionfish :)

I've been too wary to do salt. I have a 29 gallon planted community tank but would like to do something larger. Cichlids I know are what lots of people like to get into with larger tanks, but I like rainbowfish and angels. Also like all the bottom dwellers.

My husband loves his saltwater tank. our 29 was a planted community tank too... but we have slowly been rehomeing out fish so that we can turn it into a saltwater. I love angels too. Chichlids are cool but I've heard they can be as picky at some saltwater fish.

Back in the 70s we had a south american Chichlids tank. It was given to us by my Dads workmate who had decided to get rid of the tank and fish because he got too upset with the fighting in the tank. He kept buying snakeheads and they didn’t last two seconds in there with the other fish.

So he gave the tank to my brother to look after. The tank had Oscars, Jack Dempseys, convicts and a catfish you only saw once a year when the tank was striped down.

With the in fighting we ended up with just one of each but oh I love the oscar, I would sit by the side of the tank and he would swim over to me and stay there until I moved away. I only learned years later how intelligent these fish are and that they can be hand fed as well. My mother would just lob the raw meat into the tank.

The Jack Dempseys are one of the most beautiful fish you could ever find and no photo on the net can do justice to the colours of this fish. You really need to see one in a tank. But you couldn’t find a better name for a fish as they are fighters and caused most of the trouble in the tank.

I was told with the African Chiclids you need to overstock the tank to stop the fighting. At the aquarium shop the owner said that the fish start chasing one fish but get sidetracked by another fish and start chasing that and then get sidetracked again and again just like they do in the wild.

I used to keep fresh water puffers but had to give the tank up after a bad accident meant it was difficult for me to keep the tank clean. I also got the dreaded eczema.

One day if I win the lottery I get the biggest salt water tank I can get with a puffer fish and pay someone to do all the cleaning. :cool:

Sounds like a really nice freshwater tank. I think my husband cleans the saltwater less then the fresh water... just weekly water changes. We're still trying to figure out what to do with the 29gal.

Years ago, when I was married, my husband and I had several fresh water aquariums. We had two clown fish and they used to 'sleep' on the bottom of the tank. The first time I saw it I told him the fish were dead. They lived for a few years.

When we first saw them sleeping we were very confused so Dustin tried to wake the one up and he gave him a pissed off look like "dude I'm sleeping. Sadly our first clown passed away earlier this week so the other one seems a little lonely. Every time Dustin puts is hand in the tank the fish bites him... weird to watch.

Davy, man can clowns give you looks! I love their movement it's so different then other fish.

Karlin, our tank is a 37gal. We started in a 10gal nano tank with one clown. They are hosting in a mushroom instead of and anemone because anemones scare the stuffing out of us. We had one for about a week and we were so paranoid that it was going to start moving around out tank and eat our fish (they like really good light and ours could be better). One morning my husband found our fire fish stuck in it. It was really pretty but we returned it to the store.

Next stop is to change out 29gal freshwater into a simple saltwater... maybe with a lionfish :)

I evidently missed this thread! Melissa, I'm currently researching setting up a reef tank. It seems very complicated, but I'm determined. I'm starting smaller, too.. like a 40 gallon breeder tank, with a 20g long sump/refugium underneath. I'm mainly interested in a few fish, soft corals, and I'm just dying to have some clams! Maybe some SPS.. so I'm going to need good lighting because of the clams.

Do you mind telling me about your setup? I'd love to hear about it.

I had to laugh when you said you were starting smaller... with a 40 gal. We started with a 10gal nano reef with a heater, coral life light, I think a filter made for a 20 gal tank, and a protein skimmer (i forgot the brand... it broke so now biggie). In there we had our live rock... one clown, one mushroom, and a few polyps. Not to mention many crabs and snails for a cleaning crew.

Here is a pick of the nano reef before fish but just after putting rocks and gravel/sand in.
fishy.jpg

Recently, many 6 months ago we bought a 37gal column tank. Is the width of the top of the tank is the same as the 10gal we were able to get away with the same light (so the nano got moved to the big tank). Now we have 2 clowns (just picked one up 2 nights ago) a fire fish, green clown goby, a yellow watchman goby, lots of different mushrooms, polyps, 2 feather dusters, and a hammer coral. This thank has a filter rated for a 50 gal tank, 2 smaller heaters, I forget the name of the skimmer for this tank but it's a hang on back type because there is no room to build a sump.

Here is a pic of some of the soft corals and such. The long white thing in the middle is a floating thermometer... but a snail some how got on it and it became a sinking thermometer(thats the big circular thing at the top of it).
DSCF3054.jpg

And here is and odd angle at most of the tank
DSCF3020.jpg

We also have a 29 gal tank that had been our fresh water tank but that wasn't doing it for us so we gave away all the fish. Currently the tank is cycleing so that we can put some new fish in there. It's going to be salt water but we are unsure weather it will be a dwarf lion fish or some ... now i forgot what my husband told me he wanted to up in there.

Beautiful tank, Melissa!

I wanted to start larger... like a 55 or 75g tank. Husband wasn't crazy about the idea (this will be MY hobby) and asked me to go smaller. Maybe he'll really like it and I can move up in the future.

I just love the mixed reef look! Looks just like the nice snorkeling I've done on vacations.

I want to eventually get a Mandarin Dragonet, and I just love, love, love the Blue Spotted Jawfish, but they are real jumpers so I have to think long and hard about getting one of those.

And, CLAMS, I gotta have some CLAMS. Those tridacnids are just fabulous and the colors are amazing!

Thanks for posting the tank pictures!

both of my nemos..disappeared

yep never to b found....i have a 24g aquapod..will upload images later

my humble tank

its so very empty....but i've learned the hard way that you need to take you time with a salt water fish tank. probably will add more stuff to it when my new job starts.
2123461061_d0f8b923e3.jpg

Back