• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm new here and have a new cav

whitecav

We moved to western Aussie a year ago from NZ and unfortunately had to leave our old boy with friends as our vet wouldn't clear him to fly (he was a blenheim, quite a large boy and deaf as a post) . after our son was born along came another cav who strangely enough shares the same birthday as our son. But here is where he is a bit different... Mum is a blenheim and Dad is a tri-color. while apart from his *!@*!@*!@*!@ and one ear Kelloggs is completely white (thought of "black bum the pirate" for a name but a certain puppy hid in a kelloggs box when he came home). a reject you may think?? I think not, a pretty cool little dog... well that is when he works out that I am not a chew toy.. And the requests for puppies and stud when we go for a walk.. Might be onto something good here. Will post a pic when I work out how to

Welcome and we'll certainly be interested in some pictures! Glad you were able to find a nice place for your older fellow and a lovely new fellow as a cereal prize! :lol: We love pics and have some all-black cavaliers here too, another odd colour that sometimes pops up due to the random shuffle of genes.

Of course I hope you wouldn't seriously consider breeding him though based just on his colour -- not least because he's unlikely to ever produce that unusual coat colour in any puppies. Only his parents would very possibly do that, but the chances would be infintesimally small -- coat colour isn't predictable and inherited, especially not all white -- if he isn't a genuine albino, then he'll likely be a genetic oddity produced from the mix of his parents' genes, not something he'd have that could be passed along). Health issues like MVD and syringomyelia are also a very serious consideration so breeding, unless someone wants to risk major health problems in the offspring and the further spread of these two afflictions, which already are extremely high in cavaliers, is really an area for expert breeders. (y) We've got lots of info about those issues here if you aren't familiar with them. (y)

What was your vet's concern with your older fellow flying? The stress on an old guy, or were there health issues? I also thought it is hard to bring a dog into Australia?

Welcome to the forum. That is really sad that you had to leave your old boy back in NZ. Your new little guy sounds like a character. Would love to see a pickie.

It is always very flattering when people make passing comments about using your dog as stud, but as Karlin has mentioned, this is a very serious step to take, the scope of which goes beyond what can be written in a mere "welcome to the forum" post. :)

icon_welcome

[quote="Karlin]I also thought it is hard to bring a dog into Australia?[/quote]

It is hugely expensive and the dogs are in quarantine for a very long time. Here is an interesting link discussion the process http://www.geocities.com/bluegracepwd/importing.html. I think importing from NZ is not quite so bad because NZ is a rabies free country.

Last edited:
welcome to the forum , so sorry to hear that you had to leave your other dog behind in NZ
your puppy looks beautiful , i had a look at him om your member page, he really is cute!!!!!

look forward to more pics:)

lisa

Back