Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 mth Crying in pain when scratching his neck?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8 mth Crying in pain when scratching his neck?

Hi everyone

I'm sure i am being over fussing about my babies as normal but our 8mth old puppy Guinness over the last few weeks has started to cry out in pain when he scratches his neck - it only seems to happen every few days but he will be sat on his own and all of a sudden he is really yelping! It stops as quick as it starts and then nothing again for a few days but has been happening on and off for a few weeks now.

I wondered if he nails for too long and he was catching himself???

Thanks

Sonja x
    Mummy to Harvey (Blen)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have you taken him to your vet and have they found any cause for his scratching? You'd want to do this right away and work through all the possibilities. If you cannot find any cause, then I am afraid you will want to consider the possibility of syringomyelia, as this type of scratching and sign of pain, especially sudden yelping for no apparent reason, are very typical signs. If he is yelping he is definitely expressing sharp pain so whatever the cause, getting him to a vet immediatey to try and pinpoint it should be a priority.

You can get lots of information on my SM website here which will help explain the condition, typical symptoms, what to do if you think your dog might have SM, all about treatments, UK contacts to see, etc:

www.smcavalier.com

You can download and print out the symptoms document, Clare Rusbridge's introduction to the condition, and her treatment diagram. I would bring all of those with you for your vet when the vets check him for other causes. If no other cause of the scratching can br found you will probably want to immediately get a referral to a neurologist familiar with the condition and have an MRI (NB these are expensive). You can get low cost MRIs done (the only way of getting a definitive diagnosis) however these are not adequate for treatment as they aren't generally detailed enough. But all of the neurologists at those centres would be familiar with SM. The leading expert is Dr Rusbridge in Wimbledon. Unfortunatey if it is SM and he is showing signs this young it is likely to be a more severe, rapid onset form for which the only medium to long term care approach would be decompression surgery as the prognosis is very poor otherwise I am afraid. The prognosis is best in young dogs only just starting to show symptoms that go for the surgery.

Keep in mind there could be many other causes and your vet will want to eliminate all of those FIRST before you even consider SM but I would recommend moving quickly to check this out as time can be of the essence with SM.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, I'd definitely get him to the vets as a point of some importance. There are many reasons why a dog may experience pain like this, some easily rectified, other more sinister... as Karlin has already pointed out.

Do get back to us and let us know what the vet says.

Oh... and you are not being overly fussy. This is very important.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry to hear that poor Guinness is having scratching/yelping attacks - please get him to the vet straight away, no dog yelps without reason and this is their way of showing pain.

I reallly hope that it isn't Syringomyelia, I presume you've already checked for parasites? but there are other possibilities that your vet will want to rule out.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice - i have to say we are very worried now and getting Guinness to the vets straight away!!

I looked at all the information links that you have posted and watched the video's - i am so worried if Guinness has got SM - on one of the videos i lady was showing that if you rub the cav in a certain place his leg went mad in an air scratching motion. Guinness has done this since he was a baby (we always thought it was cute) not realising there could be health implications.....

I have no idea how to look after him or the best thing to do for him to make safe healthy and happy - but again i guess we should wait to see what the vets says and take his advice.

We have not had much luck with our babies, what with Harvey being born with IDD and now this... its all so upsetting! :-(
    Mummy to Harvey (Blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that poor Guinness is having scratching/yelping attacks - please get him to the vet straight away, no dog yelps without reason and this is their way of showing pain.

I reallly hope that it isn't Syringomyelia, I presume you've already checked for parasites? but there are other possibilities that your vet will want to rule out.
    yes, the vet will probably treat Harvey for mites first. No need to panic at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most dogs have spots where if you scratch them, their legs will scratch, so don't overly worry on that count. With SM dogs there's often a spot that starts the SM style scratching. You'll note in that video she is also contrasting this behaviour with the numbness in parts of her dog that means he doesn't even feel her touch at all or react.

The main issue is that he is crying out sporadically in pain and sometimes while scratching. You and your vet will want to start working through all the reasons he could be doing either of these things, and to also see if they are connected in some way. Your vet will want to check ears, skin, joints, spine etc to search for reasons for the behaviour. Early onset SM is the most unlikely option but it is an option so it is a good idea to print and give your vet the various information documents and to talk about this possibility *if no other reason can be found* or *if treating for other isues doesn;t get rid of the problem or it keeps returning*.

You are never being overly worried when checking on a source of pain or discomfort.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

sending all the best wishes for you and your pup

Post Thanks / Like

Guinness has his appointment with the vet today so fingers crossed!

I have been thinking that i will ask the vet to trim his nails as a procaution anyway...

Hopefully it will be good news!
    Mummy to Harvey (Blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh good luck today, let us know how you got on
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)