• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rosanne Cash to have decompression surgery

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Link: http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/2007/11/06/ap/entertainment/d8soapig0.txt

Rosanne Cash to Have Brain Surgery

By TERESA WASSON
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Rosanne Cash is facing brain surgery for a rare but benign condition and must cancel the last four dates on her "Black Cadillac" tour.

The announcement was made Tuesday by Manhattan Records, the 52-year-old singer's music label. Cash is expected to make a full recovery and resume recording and touring next spring.

"She does want everyone to know that it's a benign condition, and it's not life-threatening," said her manager, Danny Kahn. "It's nothing like a tumor or hemorrhage or anything. It's elective surgery."

Kahn said Cash has been diagnosed with chiari I malformation.

According to the American Syringomyelia Alliance Project, a nonprofit clearinghouse for information about chiari and related disorders, the disorder is a congenital malformation of the skull that affects the brain and spinal cord.

Symptoms, which include severe head and neck pain worsened by coughing, sneezing or straining, often don't show up until adulthood, the organization said.

"She's somehow accepted many of them through the course of her own life, the sort of discomforts that you learn to live with," Kahn said. "She's noticed them more over the course of this last year."

Cash, who lives in New York City, will have the surgery at New York Presbyterian Hospital, her record label said.

Cash is the daughter of the late country star Johnny Cash. Her hits include the crossover "Seven Year Ache" and "The Way We Make a Broken Heart." She signed with EMI-based Manhattan Records earlier this year.

She has been touring in support of her latest album, "Black Cadillac."

Her career was interrupted for more than two years by vocal cord polyps, but she recovered and resumed recording.

Cash has written a book of short stories and collaborated on a children's book.

EMI is part of EMI Group PLC.

On the Net:

Rosanne Cash:

http://rosannecash.com/

A service of the Associated Press(AP)

Karlin:

there was a medical story here in U.S. on TV last week about a family who all the female members had this syndrome. I think it was on Extreme Makeover? and they were building them a new house - the family was actually living in an extended/added on chicken coop!

Anyway, the mom and her (3) daughters all have the condition that of course, the mom didn't know anything about until she was an adult. They have very rigid spinal column and pain. It was definitely a heart-breaking story.... and they definitely deserved a new house with floorboards that weren't collapsing when someone walked across the floor!

Sheri

OMG! :eek: My dad was a HUGE fan of this lady's late father, :xfngr: that the surgery is successful for her, thanks for the info Karlin!

Wow, that's interesting.

there was a medical story here in U.S. on TV last week about a family who all the female members had this syndrome. I think it was on Extreme Makeover

Yes, that was Extreme Makeover. We watch that every Sunday. This one was of particular interest to me. Hearing them talk about their symptoms really helped give a little insight to what the dogs experience.

I heard about that episode; wish we got it here. Learning about what humans experience has really helped me understand what the dogs may be feeling and why they behave certain ways.

Back