• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Stop jumping at the door

Jen

Abbey jumps up and down at the back door when she's ready to come in. It drives us nuts, not to mention she's scratching the house and door. We ignore her when she does this, not going over to the door until we hear her stop. Once we get to the door and she sees us, she starts all over again--so we stand there until she sits, and only then is she allowed in.
What can we do to stop the behavior all together--so that she doesn't even start jumping/scratching?? I've read a can filled with coins will cause a startling noise and make her stop and eventually associate the behavior with the awful noise. I've also read that installing an alarm that goes off when she does it will make her eventually stop as well...any other suggestions??

I'm interested in hearing if anyone has any ideas too. There are at least 4 of ours who do this and nothing we do seems to discourage them. Full glass doors help, but I still replace the storm door and wood trim every few years.

Joly and Teddy do it and Izzy used to. AsTeddy also scratches to be let out, I got him to shake a child's bell bracelet, hanging from the handle, by a loop of string, but he rings the bells and still scratches to go out.. the inside wall, by the door, has been worn down to the brick. The upvc, on the outside , is slightly scratched but not too bad.

Softy Monty never has and will wait in pouring rain, should the door close on him.

Try to figure out what is making them so excited to come inside in such a hurry.

I used to have the same problem. Then I realized it mostly happened in the morning and evening when I let them out right before their mealtimes. So I changed when their meals are served. In the morning I don't fix their food or feed them 30 minutes or so after they've come into the house from their first potty break. In the evening I do the same. Doing that removed their reason for being anxious and excited to be the first one in the house and in the food line.

Another thing I discovered is when I'm training their recall, I have to stand outside on the deck when I call them and give them their treat/rewards outside. After they've had their treats they're willing to come inside nicely.

Hope this helps!

this is a very interesting topic for me as barney our 4 year old Tri- does this but he does it in reverese. In other words he barks to be let out- and I dont mean cos hes desparate to go out , he might literally have just come in but if hes in that mood he just goes mad barking and screaming( Kind of) . We've tried aversion techniques, we've tried firm commands, ignoring him and therapy( us not him!) and nothing has worked so far. We're just learning to live with it- but if anyone on here can offer something different its worth a shot!

Back