• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My rascal

pinkpuppy

Finally! I have a moment to post a single current picture of Tricky since we first brought him home. I envy all of you who have gorgeous photographs of your Cavaliers. Time really flies having this petite Tasmanian devil running around. Now that he is a little older and has learned to lay down. He is waiting for treats of course!:rolleyes:

Needless to say he has my DH wrapped our his paw and the feeling is mutual. He loves Tricky!:luv: I'm always getting admonished for being too strict with the pup. :-|

Tricky is very happy adjusting quite nicely after his complete UTD vaccinations. I've taken him out for walks, but having a difficult time with him on a lead as he is always pulling on it and choking himself. I've tried the harness and the same thing happens. He's going in for his rabies vac this week I suspect he has kennel cough and will be consulting the his current vet about this. He kind of does this this back throat thing like some rude humans do when they don't use a tissue.

I recently took him to a free puppy socialization pawty available every Saturday and Sunday for 2 hours. He made me sad sitting aloof on a large pillow or by the divider watching the humans. Not paying attention to any of the puppies romping around and coming up to him to sniff and initiate play. We met another couple with a gorgeous Blenheim girl that would have been for show except she was stolen for 15 days this summer. They thought she was lost to them forever! First thing I notice about her was her gorgeous face and form, didn't even notice her coat immediately. Until they pointed it out to me what happened to her. Ruby was malisously shaved and all her beautiful coat was hacked up. Though it did not detract from this angelical beauty of Ruby it sadden me people can be so cruel. She went on to say that was a disappointment, but more importantly her fur baby did not suffer any physical ill effects. Their vet gave her a clean bill of health after doing blood test and x-rays to be on the safe side. Ruby also has a handsome tri-color brother name Thor he is several months older than my pup. He was shy and decided to sit with Tricky on the side lines. That didn't last long for Thor, puppy curiosity got the better of him and he was ready to rough play with the rest of the pups. All in all my furbaby sat on the side for 2 hours straight and refused to interact with any of the varieties of puppies in the play pen.

I did for moment thought this young couple was our Lynn with Molly and Maxwell though. ;)

Plus met this retiree EMT lady who does rescues. She mention a pet store nearby and the owner had two Cavaliers! I've been to this store to peruse and the owner indeed ask me what type of dog I had. She made no indication that she had two Cavaliers. :( It's getting biting cold here and I was looking for a warm fleece coat for my pup. Though there are no breeders in my state. There are plenty of CKCS doglets living here though!:luv:

P.S. Tricky loves *huge* dogs, babies, children, and two-legged adults! Just not puppies!:confused:

Tricky102407.jpg

Here's a sad pic of him the first week he was home with my cell phone. I had a homemade snood on his head. :lol:

9.jpg

I'm so happy for you! Tricky is a little doll. I especially like the first picture of him.

That's great that you have found a puppy socialization class. You'll want to make sure all the animals in attendance are over 16 weeks of age and have completed their vaccinations. You mentioned Tricky is going in for his rabies vac soon, so you might want to hold off on the socialization until he's had that final jab.

Also, if you suspect he has kennel cough it is VERY VERY IMPORTANT to keep him away from other animals. I'm pretty certain kennel cough can be deadly, so you should take Tricky to the vet as soon as possible. Has he had his bordetella vaccination?

Give Tricky lots of hugs and kisses from Kingston and me!

*Pauline*, Thanks for the suggestion may do just that. :)

KingstonsMom, Yes. I am a little worried about that and it's good thing his appt is this Tuesday. I will ask about the bordetella vaccination also, but will also double check his current papers.

He sure is a cute little guy! And the homemade snood sure works, although he looks as if he is not really happy with it.

If you think he has kennel cough, I would suggest calling the vet ahead of time before you take him in. Kennel cough is highly contagious and they may want to take some special precautions. But are you sure it's kennel cough? Cavaliers do this snorting thing that a lot of people call the Cavalier Snort; I've also heard it refered to as a reverse sneeze. When he does it again, cover his nose so he has to breath through his mouth and push his nose down until it points down at the floor and hold it that way until he stops, usually just a few seconds. If that stops it, it's probably the Cavalier Snort and is not unusual in this breed.

Wow!!! What a cutie Tricky is!!!! I love that first photo of him and those beautiful ears he has!!!!

My two went to puppy class last spring and my Molly was shy and wanted to sit back and watch, but over time she got more daring & more social. It was very good for her. There was another shy dog in the group and he and Molly seemed to get along great at the end of the 6 weeks.

No, the people you met at the social was not us! Our real names really are Lynn, Molly & Maxwell, (not creative like Ruby & Thor!!!) and THANKFULLY (thank you God) Molly has not been stolen from us. It is exciting knowing that there is another Blenheim & Tri pair in around these parts though! (cavaliers aren't totally RARE around here, but they aren't every day either)

I'm so glad you took Tricky to the pawty and I hope you take him back if he is ok'd by your vet because I am sure that the socialization will be good for him. I wish there was a small dog play group (and a dog park) in this area....but as you know...dog parks are extremely rare in Maine. (although I read that Belfast (Maine) might be getting one sometime soon...I think it is just in the planning stages right now)

If you can sew, fleece coats are super easy to make...I made a bunch for my two last winter...first went online and got a free pattern, then modified it and made my own pattern...and I could sew one from start to finish in about 40 minutes. Super easy. OR, I have seen some at Petco!

He sure is a cute little guy! And the homemade snood sure works, although he looks as if he is not really happy with it.

If you think he has kennel cough, I would suggest calling the vet ahead of time before you take him in. Kennel cough is highly contagious and they may want to take some special precautions. But are you sure it's kennel cough? Cavaliers do this snorting thing that a lot of people call the Cavalier Snort; I've also heard it refered to as a reverse sneeze. When he does it again, cover his nose so he has to breath through his mouth and push his nose down until it points down at the floor and hold it that way until he stops, usually just a few seconds. If that stops it, it's probably the Cavalier Snort and is not unusual in this breed.

Thank you, Bruce! I'm going to try this if he sneezes again because there are no other symptoms of illness. Great appetite :rolleyes:, plays till I past out, and very very alert! Nothing escapes his attention especially when I go the fridge.:)

Lynn, link please??? :D

This is the pattern I started with Debby:

http://www.sewing.circleofcrafters.com/freepetvestpattern.html

But then I drew my own sort of based on this shape and made my own pattern with separate straps for the under belly. I had to take out the measuring tape and measure the dogs first, then made a template out of a white plastic garbage bag (& tape to attach the underbelly straps) and fit that to the dogs... Once the pattern was made the sewing part was a breeze.

One piece of advice is that when buying the velcro for it...don't use the super cheap no-name brand like I bought....buy the velcro brand, works much better.

Congratulations! Your new baby is adorable! He doesn't look like he likes the snood much, but I bet you a dollar he's just acting pitiful so you'll take it off...they're good little actors that way! ;-)

Thanks everyone!:)

Debby, thanks for asking Lynn for the pattern. Lynn, wish I still had a sewing machine and I just ordered a jacket from a local vendor in Biddeford who just ripped me off. Now I am in pursuit of filing a chargeback on this company.:mad:

GunrunTheRed, I think these little tykes are designed to make care givers like myself feel guilty! One look from those big brown eyes and ruly curly ears and he gets all the food in the cupboards!;)

Tricky is so, so cute.

See you had a long wait, but wasn't it worth it? I know you went through a lot before Tricky came along. I'm so happy for you and your husband. You will love him and have a great time.

Sharon. My husband loves him to pieces. Just last Saturday when he got off work as usual he gives me his lunch sack. Well his house and car keys are hanging off the strap. Tricky comes up pulling on the strap until I release the keyring and takes off with the keys to give to his dad!

Tricky is amazing us everyday with something new. :D

Back