• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Free standing Pet Gate

casshon

Has anyone else used a free standing pet gate?
It looks like this:
517639323.jpg

My house is open plan downstairs so I cannot contain Molly & Bella in one room and other normal pet gates must be secrued to a wall which I cannot do because the space is too wide. Up to now they have been in their crate that is extended with an x-pen. I bought this gate and it works great at night as they go straight to bed and do not try to get out. However, during the day they push the gate and escape :rolleyes: I have tried putting things infront of the gate to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could stop the gate moving or train the girls not to push the gate?

I can't remember exactly - I'm at work now so I can't measure but approx 6 ft. and it's at an awkward angle. The kitchen presses are on one side and a radiator cover is on the other side.

My springers used to get round the spring fixing to the wall type of gates, used on our stairs, by swivelling them, then stepping over.

Teddy has got out of an up and over doored crate with a heavy pc monitor placed in front of it (the later being moved about 0.5 metres. The only way to keep him in that one is to put the door facing a wall. he hasn't mastered sliding bolts , yet, but...

I have three of those freestanding pet gates to keep our cavs in the kitchen, and when not used for that one blocks the stairway to upstairs and two block the dining room. They are great for open floor plans, and they look nice too.

Since they are adjustable, we make them wider than the opening and put them on the inside of the room. Then the dogs cannot push them.

Chocolate jumps the gates if she's upset, but usually she respects us and stays in the kitchen.

I got my mom that gate. I would think heavy objects at the front and back at each corner would work -- like a couple of bricks on a box? If it fits acros the entry way then you'd only need somethnig heavy on one side, to hold those bits against the wall.

Where did you order that gate in Ireland? It's a really nice barrier.

I bought that exact gate for my kitchen and also use it on my deck to block the steps down to our unfinished yard.

At the moment we are using boxes of Christmas cards and envelopes (I'm in the middle of packaging charity Christmas cards :rolleyes:). They are heavy enough to keep my two escape artists in but it doesn't look very pretty :). They haven't tried to jump over it yet thank goodness.

I really like the gate and it does look lovely. It's also just the right width to stack beside my radiator cover for storage during the day when it's not needed. Karlin, I actually shipped it from the USA. It cost quite a bit but now I can remove their enormous crate from my tiny dining room and I should have enough room for a Christmas tree :D.

On other news, Molly has taken very well to the change in her bedroom environment. She usually doesn't like any changes but has been as good as gold :luv:

Thanks for all the replies ;)

Update: There's been another escape attempt!

Last night I bought small hooks and attached them my kitchen press and radiator cover so Molly & Bella couldn't push the gate but this morning I heard the tell-tale pitter patter of feet on the wood floor to greet me which can only mean one thing - they jumped the gate :rolleyes:. I have now attached 3 panels of their x-pen to make the gate higher. It's like a high security jail in my kitchen :lol:

Back