• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Calling all Irish Members, Help needed with naming puppies!!

Cathryn

Hi!

As you know I have three little babies in the nest right now, OK not so little now, 6 weeks old!! Will post new :snap: later in the week, rather busy right now.

Anyway their father's registered name is Toraylac Aodhan and I want to use Traditional Irish boys names for these boys, I already have a Declan (Josie's boy Mr.Chips) and can't/won't use Aodhan, but am looking for names that will suit a happy go lucky outgoing Ruby, a mischievious Black and Tan and quietly reserved Black and Tan!

Names can be no longer than 26 Character's and will start with Ttenneb (My affix) spaces count as 1 character.

So come on you lot, pick your brains and see what you can come up with? Oh I won't /can't use Fergus either as that is Aodhan's call name!

Many Thanks in advance!! (y)

Last edited:
I have a b/t cav for grooming called Brek which means dark apparently . His owners liked an irish theme. They already have an irish red name picked out for if they get a ruby but I can't remember it

how about Adhamh for your ruby boy means red earth or ruddy.
It's also my name "as gaeilge" (in irish) :p

Just wondering do you mean folklore-y type names? I'm curious because my 2 cavs are called Eddie and Lola (very human names) but I don't think Irish "human" names really suit dogs. I much prefer names from Irish legends such as Setanta, Cúchulainn, Dagda, Dé Danann, Fionn (mac cumhaill), MacDara, Faolan etc. I have plenty more if you want me to list off some as I'm fluent in Irish and can translate some english words for you if you want.

The following link has loads of names, some traditional "normal" names and some mythical names: http://web.ncf.ca/bj333/HomePage.boys.html to varying degrees of Irish accuracy. They sound nice though :)

Last edited:
How do you pronounce Aodhan? I think there in another member with an Aofie and I never was sure of the correct pronunciation.

Generally from my experience Aodhan is pronounced 2 ways. The first sounds like Aidan (Aay-dan) or else Aay-an (the dh is kinda silent). Similar to the Irish version of Hugh which is Aodh (pronounced Aay and sounds like the letter "A") :)

If you wanted to go the colour route:
Red is Rua (pronounced Ru-ah)
Dubh is black (pronounced Dove)
Brún is brown (pronounced Broon)

Good idea with the colours- Red is also known as "Dearg" (pronounced "dareg") and brown as "Donn" (pronounced as "donn" or "down" depending on your irish accent) Could be confusing for training the puppy not to jump up on you if you call him Donn (and pronounce it "down") tho :p

Last edited:
Daithi ( dah + hee") swift, nimble
Daragan = little red one
Púca ( POO ka) = mischievous sprite

I'm not Irish, but can I give it a go?

How about Liam?

I once had an Irish Setter named Kerrigan. He was a beautiful red-head.

:w*w: You guys (and gals) are the greatest!! (y) I knew you were the best lot to ask! Thanks so much for all the wonderful links and suggestions, love the kings idea!! I will post new pics around Friday/Saturday so you can see the (hopefully) personalities of these 3 gorgeous dudes, they are so sweet :lotsaluv: Sadly am reporting that their beautiful Father is heading overseas at the end of this week :cry*ing: Not allowed to say where right now, just suffice to say that our loss is their gain!

I pronounce Aodhan "Ay-Dan", he is named for the breeder of his mother BTW! I will most likely be keeping one of the B/T boys now that I know I cannot use their Dad again, got to protect that bloodline!! ;)

Thanks again guys!! You are the greatest!! (y)

Back