• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bakers Twist Bones

shippers

Last night I was in the supermarket and decided to get Sally a treat. I bought her a Bakers Twist bone. Usually I don't give her anything with artificial colours or preservatives but I thought once would be ok. She loved it and it kept her busy for awhile. Then this morning my boyfriend went down and she had weed and pood on the floor!!! She had drank a whole bowl of water. I think it must have been the bone making her thirsty. She has been outside since and had diarrhoea. I feel really sorry for her cos she's all sleepy and looks fed up. She never has accidents in the house so I know she much have been desperate. Has anyone else had problems with Bakers bones?

To be fair, the ingredients in most of the Baker's stuff wouldn't be great when compared to other providers. If Sally is used to a good diet, it could simply be the change to lower quality and higher salt levels that did it.

A lot of treats will cause the runs, I have found. That includes 'healthy & natural' treats and more manufactured ones. Some of my dogs get bad runs from Booda bones and Nylabone edibles for example. Some dogs also have more sensitive tummies than others -- Lily has a really sensitive stomach. Almost any treat will make a dog extra thirsty. In general I wouldn't allow a dog to eat a really large treat right before bedtime just in case -- this is probably a better treat to give in the daytime. Maybe let her have part but not all of a chew as well.

I don' like the Bakers treats as they are rather hard, so likely to have bits bitten off and not chewed (which is the whole point of larger treats); especially their version of a Jumbone. We don't get tummy upsets though.

I've given mine those but managed to cut them in half first as greedy guts (aka Oakley) will manage to eat his own and then steal Merlins. I find that if I give more it does cause the runs as they are quite rich and most probably full of rubbish so they don't get them very often even though they do enjoy them.

Pets at Home are doing two 28 packs of Dentastix for £9, regardless of size, so the best buy is large dog size. mine like that size anyway, but they can easily be cut down. The small size only saves a few pence but the largest savesover £5.

Back