• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Strange Odor

Gingers Mommy

Gingers got a pretty bad odor that seems to come from her eyes tearing. She doesnt have dark staining under her eyes too badly as we clean almost daily with crystal eye or a warm washcloth.
Has anyone else experienced this? I can't really explain what it smells like, but its pretty foul! I thought it was her breath for a while, but we brush her teeth and she gets greenie biscuits....its not her breath!
Any suggestions are HIGHLY appreciated!

I have the same problem with my two boy's,even washing with a warm washcloth only helps a little.Someone please help us.

In both cases I'd talk to your vet to make sure this isn't from some other source. Really bad smells from around the head could be ear infections, or gingivitis (gum disease) -- eye discharge sometimes smells mildly yeasty because the dampness harbours yeast (hence the discolouration) but if there's smelly eye discharge that could be an infection as well.

Most foul smell from the head will come from bad teeth and gingivitis and needs a trip to the vet to get a cleaning regime going and perhaps for some tooth extractions etc.

Also many dogs will wee onto their feathering or drag their feathering on their urine for females -- and this can gradually become very smelly. Intact males can have very smelly pee. Just some other possibilities that would seem far more likely than eye discharge to be causing bad smells.

Ditto what Karlin said re talking to the vet. A bit of a doggy odour can be normal in certain breeds, but a bad smell definitely needs investigating.

Armani had stinky eye goobers too. When I had him to the vet last week for his kennel cough vac, I mentioned that to her. She prescibed an antibotic ointment to put in his eyes twice a day. I don't remember the name of it, but it seemed to help so far. She thought it could have been an infection. I did notice one eye was a bit red before.
Hope it will be ok.

Sasha's eyes get that odor sometimes, very objectionable odor. Since it's not 24 hrs a day, I haven't called the vet about it. I figure it's just from the eye discharge. I wipe it w/ a damp cotton ball or the Diamond Eye solution on a cotton ball; this helps.

Thanks for the input.
Gosh I hope its not an infection as i think its been there for a while. Its worse when her eyes tear more, making me think its really coming from the tearing and not the breath. Also no red eyes at all. I also have to take Ginger in for a vac and will mention it to the vet then. Will let you know what he says.
Thanks

Back