• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sensitive stomach?

OhMarley

I’m starting to wonder if Marley-grub has a sensitive stomach. For the following reasons;
1.) He goes off his food sometimes which is usually followed by loose stools or vomit (bile or frothy looking).
2.) Eats a lot of grass.
3.) Will not even eat a chicken wing when he’s in one of these states!!!
I don’t know what sets it off either!
He eats tucker time roll mixed with raw chicken mince and usually pasta/rice and some veggies. He also eats royal canine puppy biscuits. Raw bone (chicken wing or lamb shank) 2-3 times a week, and the occasionally pigs ear. That’s his basic diet and always has been so I’m unsure why he has these bursts of strange behaviour.

I had his anal glands checked and they were blocked so I thought maybe that was what was making him feel ill but he is still acting weird.

Any suggestions for that to feed him when he’s feeling a little ill? Any suggestions on what is causing this would be appreciated. Sorry if my explanation is muddled I’m not feeling well today either ;)

How long has it been since Marley had a vet check? If it has been a while, I get him looked over to be on the safe side.

Then, if all that is well, I'd keep a diary for a couple of weeks to see if there is a pattern, or a particular food that is triggering this.

Marley's diet looks very yummy I think, but there are a few items that can be quite fatty & that might be setting him off. Be careful of chicken mince (especially if it is pet quality) as this can be extremely high in fat. All the skin & fat offcuts go into this. The pigs ears also are high in fat, as are the chicken wings.

If you want to give chicken mince, it might be better if you buy fresh chicken & mine it up yourself, as you can trim off all the fat. Actually, you don't need to mince it anyway. Just chop it up.

Wings are great occasionally, but again because of the skin they are high in fat. Have you tried Marley on chicken necks? They don't have any skin & are very lean. On the days you feed wings, just be sure not to feed any other fatty foods.

Same with the pigs ears. My guys love them, but I try to only give them lean foods on the days they get the ears, to keep the fat content down.

Anyway, that was all just about fat. Of course it could be something else entirely, but this perhaps gives you a starting point.

My female has the same bouts every now and then. The vet told me that she too has a sensitive stomach. Sometimes I can hear her stomach gurgling and when she gets like that she tries to eat grass, which I prevent. I'm not exactly sure what causes it, but I've always thought that its something that she got to outside. When her tummy aches she won't eat a thing, until it passes. Right now she's on Innova and for treats I give her greenies and twistex sensibelly treats.

I hope your pup gets better.

Back