• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog Sitting.....

Kelly

My husband now works from home, which has been great for Chester.

Friends of ours are getting a Beagle puppy in a few weeks and have asked whether we (well I mean my husband mostly!!), can look after him for a couple of days during the week.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice on introducing Chester to the puppy & whether we can just leave them together straight away or whether there needs to be a "breaking in" period?

Can they be left together unsupervised whilst my husband is upstairs, etc.

Any advise greatly received. Thanks.

We dogsit quite a bit for people who bought puppies from us. Here is what we do:

They are required to bring a crate and food with them. When they first come, we crate all of our dogs. Then the visitor can run around the house and get aquainted with the house. We then crate the visitor and let our dogs in the living room a few at a time; they spend a few minutes sniffing at the crate and then go about their business. We then let the visitor out and and they go through the whole sniffing thing again. Once everything is OK, back in the crate for the visitor, bring in a few more dogs and repeat the whole thing. It's time consuming because we have so many dogs to introduce 3 or 4 at a time, but you won't have so many to introduce. The key is everything very gradual. We also crate our dogs and the visitor at night.

As far as leaving them alone while your husband works upstairs, I would be very careful of that. I sure wouldn't do it the first day; maybe play it by ear after the first day. All I can say, is be very careful.

Hope I helped.

We have a pet sitting business in our home and I totally agree with Bruce. We have 6 dogs of our own and usually are sitting for at least 2 more. We have found Cavaliers are very accepting of new dogs when introduced in the correct manner.

Back