• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Photos of Candi & Some Questions

THFC1882

Well as some of you know, we were expecting our puppy to arrive and we were here to find some help and info about cavaliers.

Well here is some photos of Candi in her new home, I will of course add more in the future. so here goes for now..

candi1.jpg

candi2.jpg

The photo below is her on her first night at our house. She wont do much but eat and play without her teddy and the towel. When we went to pick her up we took an old towel in case she urinated with the excitement or fear of the travelling, however she took a liking to the towel, and as you can see she likes nothing better but to snuggle up with her teddy and towel.
candi3.jpg

I also have a few questions so I hope you don't mind.

1. Candi doesn't seem to want to drink water, we have tried it in a few ways & used different bowls, but she will drink some milk though. we tried mixing milk and water but she just drinks a little then stops. Any suggestions to what we can do??

2. I've been told that vegetables are as good for dogs as they are for humans. I'm thinking if this is true then we could maybe used sliced of carrots or whatever for treats rather than buying treats that could be possibly bad for her. Can someone tell me if vegetables is OK to give pups and at what age could they start eating them.

3. On the UK kennel club website, you can buy a pedigree certificate of up to 5 generations (like a family tree) from their on-line... Do the Irish Kennel Club provide these as well and if so, how do you do it as I cant find anything on their website.

She is absolutely gorgeous!!! I love that last photo of her snuggled in her towel and blanket with her ted. :luv:

Oh Candi, is so adorable. The last picture is so sweet.

I don't think you are supposed to give puppies milk. I'm sure the breeders on this site and help with that.

Thanks to both of you for your kind comments.

We are giving her milk in hope, that she wont get de-hydrated.

She is just adorable! The picture of her cuddling up is so cute. What a little love.

My opinion....she shouldn't be drinking milk. If she's thirsty she'll drink water from whatever bowl you put it in. My guys love veggies, in particular they like carrots, green beans, broccoli, pretty much anything (no onions, raisins or grapes...these are toxic).

She is just adorable! The picture of her cuddling up is so cute. What a little love.

My opinion....she shouldn't be drinking milk. If she's thirsty she'll drink water from whatever bowl you put it in. My guys love veggies, in particular they like carrots, green beans, broccoli, pretty much anything (no onions, raisins or grapes...these are toxic).

Thanks for the reply Cathy, We will stop giving her milk then and hope that she will get thirsty enough to drink water.

Regarding the veggies, should we wait until Candi is a certain age or is it fine to give her them at any age?? And do they just need washed and cut up or do they need to be cooked first?? Sorry if this seems silly just want to get it right.:eek:

I agree--milk isn't good, and if she's thirsty, she'll drink.

Veggies are great--carrots, pumpkin, cucumbers, and grean beans are some of our favorites.

Candi looks so cute with her towel!

I used to worry Dylan wasn't drinking enough, but if you look at the bowl by the end of the day, it is nearly all gone. Milk is not easily digested by dogs and can give upset tummies.

Just to add to the list, garlic is toxic too.

Way back when.before I ever knew anything about Cavaliers, when we first got our beloved Rudee as a puppy; she couldn't see that there was water in her bowl so I added a tiny drop of milk, just enough to cloud it, so she could get a drink. Once she was used to going to her bowl I stopped adding the milk.

Candi is just so gorgeous, cute, teeny tiny cutsie pie :luv::luv::luv:

Candi looks so cute with her towel!

I used to worry Dylan wasn't drinking enough, but if you look at the bowl by the end of the day, it is nearly all gone. Milk is not easily digested by dogs and can give upset tummies.

Just to add to the list, garlic is toxic too.

I'm not sure about this as various homemade treat recipes that I've used have garlic in them. Large amounts can cause anemia, but I haven't read anything negative about smaller doses. Also, we've been to two holistic vets who suggest garlic as a supplement.

so cute :)

with any treats, veggies or bully sticks or whatever, keep an eye on them to protect from choking. you need to get to know the eating style, and whether she gobbles and swallows things whole, and she needs to learn how to chew and swallow skillfully, as she will.

i give zack raw carrot sticks, he will gnaw on them like a bone, and break them into smaller pieces and eat them. He also prefers to leave them until they are at room temperature, and even starting to rot :p

I'm not sure about cooking or raw. the raw carrot sticks are good for chewing, they're crunchy and hard. i've read that in the case of carrots, cooking releases certain vitamins that are less available to the body in raw carrots, so if that's true, maybe cooked is more nutritious. but i don't rely on carrot sticks for his nutrition. Like you, it's kind of like a treat.

here's a site with info about foods that can hurt dogs. They do mention that giving dairy products including milk can cause diarrhea in some dogs due to lactose intolerance, so good luck with that. If she does get diarrhea, a lot of people say giving a little bit of canned pumpkin is helpful (not the pie filling but just plain unsweetened canned pumpkin).

http://www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cls=2&cat=1939

When we got our first cav many years ago the breeder advised us at the time to prepare chicken or minced meat with veggies so everyweek my husband spent hours in the kitchen preparing little bags of chicken or mince with carrots , cabbage, green beans or whatever. He was a very healthy animal however we could never get him on to prepared or bought food and we tried everything . Our others have been less fussy however and will now eat anything( and everything!)

Thanks again for all your lovely comments and your help.

We have tried carrots with her and she loves them. We have also caught her drinking from her water bowl the other night which came as a big relieve to us. We also stopped giving her milk after being advised here not too give it to her.

Been to the vet today to get an injection, the vet also checked her over and says we have got a good healthy puppy, :D :D :D

Will get some more photos for you over the next few days.

Thanks again for all your help and comments, its really appreciated.

Back