• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fur a bit matted on bum cheeks!!

emmawright

hello - i noticed last night that Bluebell has a bit of matted fur on her bum cheeks! She absolutely hates me going anywhere near her bum with the brush and when i tried to brush it last night she was very upset and not a happy munchkin. what should i do ? do i cut it off, or try to brush it out, even though it seems to really hurt her.

I must admit we give Harvey a trim f he's got big matted bits as it hurts if we try and brush it out. Not sure if that's the right thing to do though....

had the exact same problem with eddie and lola a few weeks ago. we had to just ignore their crying and cut them out! good luck!

LouLou gets really bad matts and they always have to be cut. Too much pain for her otherwise.

Jake absolutely hates have his bottom brushed....so he gets buzzed down there. It's not worth the hassle he hates it so much.

Beau used to hate having his bum brushed too, but I am very insistent, so he has gotten used to it. :p

Rather than cutting the entire matt out, sometimes if you just put a little vertical snip in it with the scissors (be super careful), you can then gently brush it out. Don't try to brush an entire matt out in one go. The best way to approach it is to work at the bottom end of the matt and work up. What you are trying to do is untangle just a tiny amount of hair, and then when you have achieved this, you work up, until you have gotten the entire matt out.

I find the best kind of brush for getting matts out is a pin brush with coated tips (often called a slicker brush). I find bristle brushes & things like baby brushes just tightens up the matt.

This must be another Cavalier trait. Annie absolutely hates having her bum or her tail brushed or combed. Last night she had a tangle on each side, and it took me forever to try to comb them out.

Scout also hates to have her little bum brushed or combed. She has gotten a little better about it though, but that tail!!!! Anyway, if you can't get it out gently, i would have it cut out or shaved. A few months ago I neglected to brush Scouts ears for 2 weeks and OMG I had to have both ears shaved. Never again. Those mats creep up so quickly.

Sounds like Oakley - hates his bum being brushed and he does get lots of mats down there - with twigs and leaves entwined! I just cut them out:)

Back