• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not good news on Bailey

estelle

I'm so upset and allsorts of things are running through my mind.
I took Bailey to register him at my vets today and it's not good news, maybe someone can put my mind at rest?

My vet said that his jaws are mis aligned, he has fluid on his lung, maybe a heart murmor and he has some scarring on his eye/eyes not sure if it's on both or just one (by this time I wasn't really taking anything in properly) which may have affected his sight, I have to take him back tommorow for a more detailed examination.

He's so tiny and vulnerable I just can't stop thinking the worst, everyone keeps telling me to keep positive but I just can't.

Oh I am really sorry to hear this! :shock:

Is this your new puppy? Where did he come from? Is he a rescue? If he is from a breeder who knowingly homed a puppy like this, I'd report them immediately to the kennel club and their parent CKCS club, as it is absolutely shocking for any reputable breeder that is KC registered to have homed a young puppy in this state. I would be immediately taking all of this up with the breeder too, and would expect the breeder to cover all vet costs. Poor Bailey should never have been sent to a new home in this state. :mad:

This almost sounds as if the puppy was in some kind of accident?

If not, I hate to say this but I'd be checking on whether he has curly coat syndrome, if he has eye scarring so young, and is sickly. Eye scarring would be pretty unusual. Make sure your vet is familiar with this condition and if there's a possibility this is dry eye/curly coat, you will need to consider some tough decisions.

If, hopefully, it isn't curly coat then I'd say you really need to talk to your vet about all these problems. The water on the lung is maybe a complication from kennel cough? Or does it have to do with the heart? Or something else? Is the murmur a puppy murmur, which tend to go away? Or does he think it is some congenital condition? What does he mean when he says the jaw is misaligned -- congenital or was it broken? Will it affect the ability to eat?

There are so many possibilities, some better, some worse, that really you need to do a full review with your vet to find out the prognosis and whether these things are serious, minor, inflicted injuries, etc. Please let us know as soon as you get a full report from the vet and what the breeder or club says. :flwr:

Little Bailey and your family will be in our hearts and prayers. Please keep us posted on how he is doing! :xfngr:

Thanks for the replies,

The problem with his jaws the vet said is a defect, the canines at the bottom don't grow outside the top jaw but inside so over time will cause little dents in the roof of his mouth which could cause abseses (sp) if food etc gets stuck.

My vet called in another vet to listen to his heart/chest and between the two of them seemed to think his heart was ok but there was talk of a scan etc, they were concerned about the fluid which was worse on one side, they decided to give him 2 shots I think they were antibiotics? like I said by this point I wasn't really taking much in that they were telling me but just letting my imagination run wild!

They did tell me that they think Bailey has come from a puppy farm!!! I heard that bit!!

As for his eyes I don't know if there's a problem with both or just 1??

What's curly coat?

There is NO way he's going back, we've decided he's staying with us come what may

We've got fingers and paws crossed here for Bailey :xfngr: I really hope tomorrow when you see the vet things aren't as bad as it first seems, bless him

So sorry to hear about Bailey. How awful for you to have to go through all of this, but I just have to say how blessed Bailey is to have you standing by him during this ordeal. After all, it is not his fault he has all these medical problems. Bless you... you are his angel. Judy and Dixie

Oh dear. I am so sorry about all this. It's sadly common for puppies that come from breeders who have little focus on health -- backyard breeders, puppy farms, and even some show breeders who should know better -- to have health problems. This is a breed with a couple of very serious conditions hence the need to always try to get the best possible reputable breeder you can. I know we tend to trust people and also sometimes to think a puppy is a puppy -- but with a narrow gene pool in purebred dogs, getting an excellent breeder is so important and sadly there are so many out there ready to take advantage of people's innocence and trust, and to let these health issues take their toll on this breed. :mad:. Many of us have found this out to our (literal and emotional) cost.

Dry eye/curly coat is a very serious breed problem -- I dread to say this but most reputable breeders euthenise puppies that have this because it is such a painful condition. Emma's little Daisy, who recently passed away, had this condition, as did one of Alison's. There's more info here:

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/dry_eye.htm
http://www.aht.org.uk/fundraising_flossie2.html
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2006.00107.x
http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/health/eyes/eyes.html

Make sure your vets are aware of this given the eye scarring. I am sure there are other possibilities but to have scarring so young ... I wouldn't think there could be many causes except some sort of very early onset congenital condition or some sort of accident. Dogs can get by really well with limited and even no eyesight though if the eye problems are due to something else. It will be very important for you to eliminate dry eye/curly coat as a diagnosis though.

If they were debating a murmur I'd kind of doubt there is one -- most puppy murmurs are benign and go away anyway.

Oh Estelle

I am so sorry to hear that your little Bailey is starting out his life with all these problems.

There is one area that I may be able to ease your mind a little on

My vet said that his jaws are mis aligned

My Beau has a little undershot jaw too. Though it is not what you would wish for a dog to have, this does not necessarily mean that he will have trouble in this area. We were advised to keep an eye on Beau's mouth to see is his lower canines would start to dig into his upper jaw, and if this started to occur he would have 2 of his lower teeth removed under anaesthetic. Thankfully so far, Beau has not had any problems at all & can chew through his bones with as much efficiency as Sonny.

The other stuff that Bailey has been diagnosed with, obviously is more serious, but I do hope that each of these hurdles can be overcome.

A puppy should never have been sent out in this condition, but I can understand your not wanting to send him back. You have invested emotionally. I hope it all turns out ok.

Sending you good thoughts & prayers for little Bailey....I hope all these issues turn out well and he has a long, happy & healthy life with you. Hang in there Estelle....you are in my thoughts.

Oh gosh...what sad news. You are definitely overloaded with a lot of health issues. Although it sounds like you are going to keep him and work through his problems, you definitely need to report the breeder. A little one in this condition should never have been homed in that condition. What a terrible combination of things. Keep you chin up, do what you have to do, and know that we are all hoping and praying for the best for you and Bailey.

Awww, thanks everyone,

He's in the vets at 10.15, so i'll let you all know how we get on.

Despite all that may be wrong with him he's still such a happy spritley little thing!!

Oh my gosh! That's terrible to hear - please keep us posted on how he gets on, how heart breaking for you...Our thoughts are with you.. At least he has got people who love him as much as you do and will help him though every little step.... xx

Oh my goodness! What a lot of isues your darling has.

Emma n RencoOh my gosh! That's terrible to hear - please keep us posted on how he gets on, how heart breaking for you...Our thoughts are with you.. At least he has got people who love him as much as you do and will help him though every little step.... xx

I couldn't agree more. Your are all in my thoughts now. We're here if ever you need to vent/talk etc. :xfngr: He'll pull through all of this ok.

Oh Estelle

I am so sorry that Bailey has got some problems. Please please let us know how you get on at the vets. I will kepp my fingers, toes, arms, legs everything crossed that everything works out ok for you and Bailey.

Big hugs to you all.

Anna (Mum of Harvey & Rudi)

Well I feel a little better, although we still have a long way to go. His cough/rattle isn't that much better, my vet had hoped it would be after his shots yesterday, but there does seem to be less fluid than yesterday (yipeeeeee)!!

His heart sounds ok today, but we're gonna have him a scan just to make sure

She also had another look at his eyes today and put some drops/dye into them, she said there are no ulcers/ulcerations?? which is good.

His ears seem to be ok although she didn't want to poke right into them just yet! (poor little mite)

So today he's had 4 more shots

Dimazon 5% - 10ml
Ceporex - 100ml
Millophyline - 50ml
Rimadyl - 20ml

Hopefully this will sort out the rattle/fluid which is her main concern at the moment, and then we'll concentrate on the eyes/teeth.

She did tell me he would be uninsurable on eyes/jaw/chest/heart as these things are all present now and as I havn't yet had chance to sort out his insurance, this is a worry!

But we've just gotta do the best for him we can whatever the cost, there is no way were sending him back now.

He's got another appt tommorow so will update when I know more.

Thanks for the kind words everyone - Fingers & paws crossed!

Hope things turn out to be less serious than you may have thought with Bailey. If not there are lots of experienced people available through Cavalier Talk to help through.

Even though you have made the decision to keep Bailey regardless, please file a complaint against the breeder. The only hope there is of controling the puppy farmers/millers is for folks like you who have had bad experiences to speak up and tell your story.

Prayers and crossed paws from here for you and Bailey.

:xfngr:that little Bailey gets better soon. Please report his breeder if you can as they shouldnt be allowed to get away with this.

Im sure he'll feel better with lots of cuddles from you & your family:)

Back