• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

raw hide

we luv lexi

rawhide: is it really bad? whats bad about it? whats all the controversy? or is it not bad at all?
i need some clearing up.
thanks!

Supposedly some rawhide is made from dog & cat skin in the far east.

the thick beefhide is ok. though if they get small peices off they can choke so you have to watch them

Yes, both of my dogs love pressed rawhide bones, but, as AT said, you have to monitor them very carefully. They can choke. I can't count how many times I've pulled rawhide pieces from my dogs mouths (throats) when I could see they were have difficulities.

Last week I went to pick Scout up from my Mom's house. She greeted me at the door but washn't very enthusiastic. I looked at her face, saw something wasn't right, she was struggling. I opened her mouth and there it was a piece of rawhide stuck. I pulled it out everything was fine. My Mom had no idea it was there. I told her to watch her very carefully when she has rawhide.

thanks!
its just that my husband had come home very enthusiastic and proud with a package of rawhide bones and i smiled and said thank you but very unsure if i should even give them to her. so i gave her one so he wouldnt feel bad but i wasnt sure if they were "allowed" to eat this.
thanks now i can give them and be guilt-free!
:luv:

Another problem with rawhide is that it's not 100% digestible. This means if they consume too much at once, it can block the intestines.

Oh - and only buy rawhide made in the USA. There can be nasty stuff on the imported kinds. Also, some dogs are allergic.

I look at rawhide as I look at other chews. I make sure I can supervise while my dog is eating it, so he doesn't swallow too much or choke!

I like the flat thin sheet pieces myself -- very hard for them to chew off small pieces. Some vets advise against rawhide and others think it is fine.

I realized that if you're in the US, only buy rawhide from the US. I'm not sure about the UK and Europe but I know rawhide from Asia/South America is not good to buy.

I second Karlin. I avoid the pressed bones and those sawdusty things (they made Holly sick as a pup). I only buy either the flat strips or the rolled flat strips. Asda do these largish ones, rawhide flat strips rolled into cigars. It takes my pair quite some time to get through them.

I (okay, Jake and Shelby) love the Merrick wizzlers. Mine are prone to choking...Shelby because she inhales things and Jake because of his missing jawbone doesn't chew things as well as he should. But we've never (knock on wood) had a problem with the wizzlers.

indy loves rawhides but he only gets them on holidays and times that we can literally be in the room with him the whole time he's enjoying them because he gets through them very quickly. last weekend while we were visiting guests, he discovered (I'm assuming pig) hooves and he chewed away happily for hours without making a dent. i haven't heard much about hooves good or bad, but it seemed much safer than the rawhide and my friend's lab loves them. also very good for the teeth....anyone have experiences with hooves?

The breeder that I got my pup from told me: no greenies, no rawhide and no pig ears. She told me hooves, knuckles and ribs were okay. I usually give Lexie hooves, they usually last a week or two(sometimes longer). Make sure the hooves are from the US. I occasionaly will buy her a rib or bully stick or bully strap, but she kinda acts crazy when she gets those treats.icon_blshing

p.s. The above treats will cause stinky breath and fur.:yuk:

thanks!
its just that my husband had come home very enthusiastic and proud with a package of rawhide bones and i smiled and said thank you but very unsure if i should even give them to her. so i gave her one so he wouldnt feel bad but i wasnt sure if they were "allowed" to eat this.
thanks now i can give them and be guilt-free!
:luv:

hehehehe thats so cute !

Back