• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about Ear Mites!!

aperfectsonnettt

So after one week of treating Piper for ear mites using Gentizol ointment given to me by the vet, i looked in Vedas ears tonight and what do you know, brown stuff all over the place!! Gross! I checked Vedas ears when i got home from the Vet last monday and cleaned them out as I know Ear Mites are contagious. My question is this. I have some of the ointment left over from the vet to start treatment. What I'm wondering is can i get Ear Mite treatment over the counter as well? I have some Ear Cleaner that i bought at the pet store (hartz) but that doen't treat for mites, am i correct?!

Also, how can i prevent Veda from giving the mites BACK to Piper?! This is a mess! Help!

Usually a vet advises treating all dogs for earmites if they sleep together, share bedding etc. You need to get the treatment from your vet -- I would not use over the counter anything. I would be cautious with Hartz products -- there are known problems with some of their flea treatments. Most of these cheap flea, tick, ear and worm treatments are not very useful.

Remember you are putting chemicals into your dogs' ears with mite treatments and hence should really only be done under veterinary supervision with approved professional products.

Cats can also get earmites from dogs BTW.

Be sure to wash all bedding and so on in a hot wash.

The lifecycle is about 2-3 weeks so usually a treatment needs to run at least two weeks to kill any new mites hatched during the treatment period.

Alfs had ear mites and it has taken me about 5 weeks to cure the problem.The poor dog had to have his ears shaved inside and the outer hair,he didnt look like a cav,but the vet said it would let more air in and keep them from getting mucky why he was being treated.I dont even know how he got them.But they have gone and i now give him the stronghold as that keeps the mites away.

I'd recommend checking with the vet cause I thought Maverick had earmites but it turned out to be a yeast infection.

Back